Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yes, Men Can Be Prescribed Women's Fertility Pills


Now word has come out that Manny Ramirez tested positive for human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG). It is similar to clomid, which is what Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi were linked to. It is used as a women's fertility drug but is also used by steroid users to assist whatever performance enhancing drug they were taking.

So now people are wondering how a doctor could prescribe this to a man. I know. Cuz I take it.

Well, I use clomid. Clomid is also prescribed to men to boost up low testosterone levels. My wife and I are trying to have our first child and clomid ups my sperm count considerably. Yes, I knew it acts as a sort of steroid and I have some of the side effects (mainly the acne and some weight gain).

And if you knew me, you'd no that I would never use clomid as anything other than the reason I was prescribed it.

Now, this isn't to say if Manny was using this for fertility reasons or for performance enhancing reasons. Not that I'm being naive, but I can give some credence that he may have obtained it as a fertility drug. I mean, you do get it for a "personal medical reason" that is sort of embarrassing to talk about.

What makes me dismiss all of that is the fact that everyone in baseball knows that clomid is banned and that any doctor of Manny's should have warned him that this could be against the league's list of banned substances.

I just wanted to post this so people did know that things like HCG can be prescribed to men for purposes other than P.E.Ds.

No comments: