Friday, April 3, 2009

Redskins Are Fine Without Cutler


When the rumors swirled that the Redskins were interested in Jay Cutler, I leaned toward not bringing him in. I mean, I like his game and all but the price is too high for a mild upgrade.

Unlike some Redskins fans, I would have seen Cutler as an upgrade over Jason Campbell. But that edge isn't worth what the Denver Broncos wanted for him.

Think about this: the Patriots traded Matt Cassell to the Chiefs for the 34th pick in the upcoming draft. Cutler yielded Kyle Orton, two first round picks and a third. Yet ... for some reason ... the Broncos valued Cassell over Cutler.

I'm glad my Redskins didn't pull off this trade. Bringing Cutler in would have cost us Campbell and a couple of first rounders at the very least. That isn't worth the small advantage Cutler has over Campbell -- confidence. Cutler has a cocky attitude that helps his game (and hurts it too). Campbell is a cool customer but there are worries that he is a bit fragile.

Both have cannon arms and Campbell seems not to make as many mistakes as Cutler does. You can argue that Cutler's numbers are better than Campbell, but he also was on a team that has a horrible defense and needed Cutler to gun all day. The Redskins rely on Clinton Portis and an elite defense to win games.

Please don't give me this crap that "now the Redskins have pissed off Campbell". I'm not going to say it didn't bother him that there was talk he'd be replaced, but Campbell isn't in the same position. Campbell's contract ends after this season and it doesn't seem like he is close to a new deal. Despite some people's gripes about Campbell, I believe he deserves some time to get things going. He's been bounced around in so many different offenses that there is no way you can feel he should master any of them. This is the second year working alongside Jim Zorn and hopefully Campbell will turn the first half of the 2008 season into a full effort in 2009.

Excuse me while I begin my posts about the Redskins staying away from Plaxico Burress.

No comments: