Monday, April 6, 2009

NCAA Championship Beats MLB's Opening Day For Me


One of the arguments that come up every year at this time is which is a bigger event: baseball's opening day or the NCAA men's basketball championship.

I honestly respect the stance that people who choose Opening Day take, but I emphatically say the NCAA title.

Not just because my beloved Tar Heels are playing tonight. That just makes it a no-brainer this year. I just think a championship game means more than the first game of a 162-game season. For each team that loses today, there is still plenty of wins left to grab. For the two playing in Detroit tonight, this is it. This determines whether you go the rest of your life as a champion.

This isn't to say that I don't love Opening Day. It is a great day of sports and does have the feel of a new year. But I think people put too much emphasis on it. If your team wins today, you have this feeling like this is going to be a special season even though it is 0.6% of the year. Not to dismiss the feeling, but a win today is just as important as a win on July 26th.

For college basketball, there is no more important day as today.

Also, I'm not big on this whole "Opening Day brings the feeling of spring". Um, I'm here in Cincinnati where it is freezing cold and rainy. That rain is supposed to turn into snow. It would be tough to see a football game like this, let alone sit in a baseball stadium.

The Royals-White Sox game was already postponed due to snow. I'm one of those people who thinks the first week of games should be played in warm weather cities or domed stadiums.

Also, is this Opening Day or Opening Week? The Braves and Phillies met last night for the official opening of the season. The rest of the league starts play either today or tomorrow. So this isn't an opening day for a team that doesn't play today.

Again, I respect the opinion of those who prefer the baseball slate today. To me, it is the appetizer to the main course this evening.

No comments: