Sunday, June 28, 2009

USA's Upset of Brazil Falls Short ... and I Still Don't Care


I'm not going to front: I don't like soccer. Yeah, I can watch it from time to time when the World Cup rolls around. Maybe a minute here or there, but not much more. I don't like soccer.

So I'm kind of glad that the USA didn't beat Brazil today in the Something-something Final. If we won, everyone would have predicted that this is the time that soccer starts to get some roots in the States.

No.

They said that in 1994 when the World Cup was held in the United States and it didn't happen. They said it after the 1999 women's World Cup when Brandi Chastain threw off her shirt in victory and it didn't happen. They said that when David Beckham signed with the LA Galaxy and it didn't happen. And it won't happen now.

We, as a nation, don't give a crap about soccer ... and that's fine.

Most of the world doesn't care about baseball. None of the world really cares about football. And there are a few countries out there that could care less about basketball. It's fine. I don't care about cricket, either.

That isn't to say that soccer has no place here. It certainly does. There are plenty of Americans that love the game and plenty of people of foreign decent that live for the game. But that's where it will stay regardless of what the United States soccer team does on the national stage.

No comments: