Monday, November 6, 2006

Why Are You Complaining About Louisville!?!?!?

Louisville just beat West Virginia, gets Rutgers this week and could be one of three undefeated teams when the regular season ends.  Yet everyone is complaining that they could be in the National Championship game against the Ohio State-Michigan winner.

Why?

First off, Louisville plays in the Big East....which is still a BCS conference.  What?  Are we complaining that a BCS conference champion that is undefeated is in the title tilt?  Isn't this why Louisville decided to move to the Big East in the first place??  To get this shot??  BCS and playoff honks are both full of crap with that arguement [I'm a playoff honk]. 

Is it the schedule??  Well, the Cardinals can only play what's ahead of them....and right now they play an 8-0 team right after playing a 7-0 team.  Sure, UConn and Syracuse blows and eat up the strength of L'ville's schedule.  What, Ohio State doesn't have bottom dwellers in the Big Eleven??  Freaking Indiana is 3-3 in league play!!!!  The only currently ranked team that Ohio State has beaten is Texas....with Michigan on the horizon.  Those are the only two teams that have a better than 6-4 record on the Buckeyes slate.  Is the current run against Bowling Green, Michigan State, Indiana, Minnesota and Illinois that much better than anything Louisville has faced??  Oh, and they get 3-7 Northwestern next.  They haven't played a team with a current winning record since beating Iowa on September 30th...and that 6-4 Iowa team just was spanked at home by Northwestern. 

Look....I know that Ohio State would smack up Louisville if they met in a 7-game series.  But that doesn't mean that Louisville doesn't deserve to get a chance.  All you BCS honks that hate playoffs....love this mess.  I love the computers since the entire POINT of them is to crunch the numbers and spit out who it thinks are the best teams.  The RPI does the same thing in basketball...but no one cares because they settle it on the field.  Of course, the voters who don't like it then skew the rankings in a manner to right the wrongs [meaning, ranking Louisville lower so it could even out].  So, BCS lovers...love the system.  It's yours. 

And enter my playoff arguement.  This is exactly why there should there would be a playoff.  I mean, how great would a playoff be???  In my 12-team format that allowed the champs of the 6 BCS conferences and 6 at large teams....I can see a great tournament with Ohio State, Michigan, Louisville, Texas, USC, Cal, Notre Dame, Boise State, LSU/Florida, Auburn, West Virginia and whomever comes out of the ACC.  We could even get an Ohio State/Michigan rematch for the title. 

Oh...what am I saying.  It will be Ohio State-Louisville for the title while Michigan and Florida battle in the Sugar Bowl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that Louisville is a great team and deserves to be number 3.  Two things that I was considering:  1.  If Rutgers were to beat Louisville, how far will Rutgers move up in the standings?  As of today, they have exact records. 2.  If Michigan were to lose to Ohio State, do they truely deserve to fall in the standings?  I believe it should be Ohio State and Michigan.  Only reason I say this is because I'm going to the BCS Championship and want to see these two teams duke it out.  By the way, I got these cheap tickets from SportsTraveler.net  Check them out. They even have travel packages for the BCS Championship.

Anonymous said...

Good take, badumbum13.

I wanted to hit on that too...but ran out of time.  What if Rutgers DOES run the table??  That would mean that they beat both Louisville and West Virginia....which is more impressive than L'ville popping WVU and Rutgers.  I mean, if the Knights end up undefeated as Big East champs....shouldn't they go to the BCS Championship?  I hope so just to kill the BCS.

I agree...Michigan and Ohio State are the two best teams.  Last year, in fact, I picked Michigan to play USC in the title game so, I guess, I was just one year ahead of myself.  I think they have a great shot beat the Buckeyes in Columbus.  And, again, that's why I hate the BCS.  They probably won't match back up in the title tilt.  They'll never allow two conference teams play for the title.  But in a playoff....they could.

-Sportz