Saturday, January 16, 2010

Let's Get Rid of Taking a Charge


I love basketball. I'd love it even better if they got rid of "taking a charge".

I'm not against calling offensive fouls. If an offensive player bowls over his defender, that should be called. I'm talking about sliding underneath a guy who is driving and "drawing a charge." I hate that play.

I'm writing this now because I'm watching the Syracuse-West Virginia game and I've seen it called at least four times. On three of the four times, the defender just moved into the offensive player's way to draw the charge. I hate that and think it is abuse of the rules.

Again, if the guy was standing there and someone just runs over them, call it. But I don't see how a defender can get credit for really creating the contact by hurrying up and standing in front of them. Despite what the announcers may say, it really isn't good defense. It is a bail-out if anything.

Think if charges were eliminated? It would mean more exciting plays, more scoring and less guys in foul trouble. The NBA did a great thing by putting that restricted-area arc under the basket to punish those who try to take an under-the-basket charge. It doesn't happen. While there are charges in the NBA, it is rare to see anyone do the "step in" charge that just litters college basketball.

If anything, make it a no-call. If both players meet at the same spot at the same time (or a split second from each other), how can that really be a foul?

1 comment:

AJ said...

How many times have you seen an offensive player leap into a set defender and get two free throws or an and 1? If you take out 'taking a charge', you need to also take away the offensive players ability to create contact by his choice to 'draw' a foul. Both are abused so not really fair to take away from the defender and not the offender.