Tuesday, November 1, 2005

I Hate Those Ticker Tape Parades!!!

CELEBRATE!!! 

So, I watched the Chicago White Sox victory parade on Comcast-Chicago the other day....and it pretty much looked like every other parade that has ever been in sports.  The motorcade with players, coaches and other people waving to the crowd.  White Sox fans filled the streets of Chicago just to catch a glimpse of their favorite players before they hibernate for the winter [read: get out of work/school]. 

What I love....or not....is what happens when the parade ends.  Then, everyone gets on a stage and makes big speeches or declarations.  The same thing...different team.

Have you heard this before???  "THIS CITY has the best fans in the world!!!!"  I guess the same group of fans move from city to city.  Or maybe the betting man needs to find who has the best fans...then plunk all their money down on that team to win it next year.  No wonder Atlanta never wins anything!!

There is always that one guy who's contract is ending...and the fans are clammoring to bring him back.  This year...Paul Konerko.  Or the mandatory "we had our ups and downs".  Or the "great group of guys." 

Someone also has to make that piercing declaration.  Nowadays, the "let's do this again next year" speech takes the place of guarantees.  This year's best declaration was Ozzie Guillen's "I will be back" statement.

And the clincher is the moronic scene.  Whether it is Mark Madsen dancing....Super soaking the crowd...playing some cheesy 1980s or 1970s song as your rallying cry.  Or someone who is obviously unhip try to do something that is hip [how about Reinsdorf's "they gone" take??]  This year, we got to see the White Sox sing "Don't Stop Believing" with Journey frontman Steve Perry.  Not only did most of the team not know the words....but most of the fans in the crowd didn't either. 

I will say this:  Konerko giving the final ball to Mr. Reinsdorf was quite a nice thing to see.  You usually don't get to see that. 

Can't wait for the parade after Super Bowl XL.

APOLOGIES

Well, I must apologise for my lack of "being there."  My wife's computer crashed...so I am working off a computer that has a tendency to freeze up at any given moment.  It does so...and it takes 15 minutes to reboot to where it is acceptable again.  And with my normal non-blogging responsibilities on here....I've started to neglect certain things on here.

Add to the fact that I just underwent surgery.....my work is 20 days on, 1 day off....Halloween obligations....and Sunday being my Sabbath [football only!!], I have to catch up on here.

And...no offense to anyone....but when I do get to blog, I have to devote it to my fantasy teams [I am 7-1 on AOL's fantasy league and 5-3 in my work league, which I organize], the World Series and to Pigskin Bloggers, whom I run the Pick 'em [I have the results written down...I just gotta type it up]. 

So, I apologize to DieCast for not being able to get my Saints Hat pic out to him.  When her computer crashed...it took all of her camera options with it...and we are working to get those things back up.  When we do...it will be one of the first things I get done.  I swear.

I apologize to Two Minute Warning....which was supposed to house my NBA Western Conference Preview on it.  I haven't been able to write it out yet.  But if you need to...feel free to steal from my NBA preview on SPORTZ LAKER LAND. 

Speaking of that...I apologize to Yannis for not keeping up on my Laker blog.  I had this entire preview on my wife's computer...and it went with the crash.  And, ya know, I just don't feel like putting in that kind of work again...lol. 

I apologize to the Pick'em crew.  I have the scores written down in front of me....I just gotta post them up here. 

And I apologize to anyone else who's written me, responded to my blog, read my blog or just wanted to give a shout out.  I hope that soon, everything becomes normal again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Sportz, the sun will come up again tomorrow.

I couldn't do what you do with two good computers, much less what you are dealing with. Hope you are good health wise...

It's all good.

Lew

Anonymous said...

Sportz, don't worry about it man. It's all good.