Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wimbledon's Center Court Controversy Really Isn't


Let me first say that as I begin to type this, I don't know what side of the fence I'll end up on. For those who don't know, an official for Wimbledon admitted that they scheduled matches involving attractive women players on Centre Court and put the higher ranked, less attractive women on the side courts.

So there are people that are bent. I understand that. It is sexist in some aspects and it does stomp on women's sports as a whole. Women are continuing to be judged by their looks.

However, I cannot really fault Wimbledon for doing this. The more attractive players have a bigger following and a higher interest level. It would stand to reason that they'd place their matches in the expanded seating of the Centre Court. After all, is it also fair to have the high ranked players play most of the tournament on the same court?

I know people hate hearing this, but sports is a business. It is an entertainment business. Everyone goes ga-ga for the Megan Fox, Jessica Biel, Jessica Simpson and Scarlett Johanssens of the entertainment world so why would tennis follow suit? Wimbledon wants to squeeze everything out of this opportunity. The LPGA loves it when several of their attractive golfers are atop the leaderboard because it could bring in the young male demographic. Why wouldn't tennis be the same way?

Again, I didn't notice which court whom was playing on. I don't care because I barely watch tennis anymore (my heyday was the Ivan Lendl/Boris Becker years). I'm just surprised that somebody admitted to this. Since they did, they may as well do what they really want to do: have one half of the bracket filled with the most attractive women and the other half filled with the leftovers. We maximize the attractive girls by placing two of them on the same court at all times. That would end up meaning that our Wimbledon Final will be an ugly chick versus a pretty one.

I wonder which one the crowd will be rooting for?

No comments: