Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Not a Fan of the HR Derby; But I Don't Wanna See It Go Away, Either


The home run derby was last night and I saw that Prince Fielder won. I didn't watch any of it because I was laying around on the couch watching TV with my wife. I didn't care if I missed any of the derby or not.

I'm not a big fan of it. I've been to plenty of batting practices to get the same sort of feeling. Old guy lobs one into a beefed up hitter's wheelhouse and ... boom. Rarely does the home run derby champ equal the best power hitter as it all comes down to who finds their groove the quickest and for the longest time.

Also, it doesn't have that same feeling of a real home run. One that happens when you didn't expect it. During this derby, you expect every swing to connect and the ball flies out. When it doesn't, it kills it pretty quick.

That isn't to say that I think baseball should do away with it. If plenty of people do like it, then why not have it? It isn't my (or some others) cup of tea, but that's the beauty of living in 2009: there are 400 more channels to watch. If there are a ton of fans that dig this contest, then keep it going!

I liken it to the NBA's slam dunk contest. I used to live for it moreso than the actual All Star Game. You had the league's stars competing and coming up with new and exciting dunks. Then it moved into more of the "young guy that vaults into stardom" contest ... which I'm fine with. But I don't break my neck to make sure I watch it anymore. I can get the same thrill by watching the highlights on ESPN later on that night.

The home run derby isn't even that for me. I'll check out ESPNews to see who won and if there was any perceived drama, but I usually forgot that it was even held that day. Give me a few more days, and I'll forget who was even in the thing.

No comments: