Thursday, July 16, 2009

What to Look For in Baseball's Second Half


Okay, the second half of the baseball season is upon us so we all have to give our two cents about what may or probably won't happen.

My love affair with baseball isn't what it was when I was a kid. I don't care as much as I used to. So here is my attempt to pull a wild hair outta my butt as I predict the winners:

NL EAST: Philadelphia Phillies. The Phills tend to get rolling late in the year and I don't see any other team in that division that can stop them. Yeah, the Mets could do it ... but who can believe in them?

NL CENTRAL: Chicago Cubs. This is more of me sticking-to-my-guns than anything. The Cardinals look like the team playing the best, but the Cubs just look like a better team. I know they are a mess, but despite all of that they are still just 3.5 games out of first.

NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers. They have some holes and the division is better than people think. Still, this team has all the tools needed to win the West.

NL WILDCARD: San Francisco Giants. It will probably be the Mets or even the Cardinals. But I love the Giants pitching and hope they can bring in another bat from somewhere before the deadline.

AL EAST: Boston Red Sox. I think the Red Sox are the best team in the American League and will fight off both the Yankees and Rays.

AL CENTRAL: Minnesota Twins. They stay consistent and are tough to beat at home. They need to pull up their road record if they are going to win the division over Chicago or Detroit.

AL WEST: Los Angeles Angels. The Angels have had horrible luck thus far ... yet are sitting atop the division. If they can get healthy, they should win the division. Also, I think the fact that Texas and Seattle are pushing them could pay off for LA when the playoffs come around.

AL WILDCARD: New York Yankees. This was tough. I want the Tampa Bay Rays to get this spot and I wouldn't be surprised if the White Sox, Tigers or Rangers took it, either. But the Yankees haven't really put it all together at any point during the season, yet still have one of the best records in baseball. I think that gazillion dollars worth of talent gets it done.

MY REDS: I think the Reds are due for a tough going the rest of the way. Jay Bruce is gone for probably two months and they've already had trouble hitting. I don't think they believe that they are in the hunt well enough to make some sort of deadline deal. If they do, it will be something like Cincinnati trading away somebody (Bronson Arroyo?) for prospects.

No comments: