Monday, July 27, 2009

Selig Considering Lifting Ban on Pete Rose


Yesterday was the Hall of Fame ceremonies in Cooperstown, NY. Again, some of the talk was about one man who wasn't there: Peter Edward Rose.

It gained some interesting steam today when it has been reported that commish Bud Selig is seriously considering lifting Rose's lifetime ban which could open the doors to the Hall of Fame.

I've been on this blog for years saying that I think Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. Keep the ban on him to be a player (I know, that's meaningless now), coach, manager or even a front office guy. But let the man be able to get into the Hall of Fame and let him be able to go to baseball events (i.e. jersey retirements, anniversary remembrances).

I'm hoping for this since next September is the 25th anniversary of Rose's 4,192nd hit that passed Ty Cobb on the all-time list. This city deserves to have some sort of celebration of it.

I also agree that Rose should've come clean a long, long time ago. If he did, he'd already be in the Hall. Now seems to be a much different time in baseball. Will people decide that if steroid players are being blackballed from the Hall that Rose should be too? Or will people decide that Rose's transgression was after he put up all his numbers and he should get into the Hall? Valid questions, for sure.

I'm not a fan of astericks. But I do understand the need for putting some of the bad with the good. Put on Rose's plaque that he was banned for 20 years for betting on baseball as a manager.

I hope Selig really is looking into this. I hope Rose has done enough to replace some of the trust he burned over the years.

No comments: