Saturday, January 1, 2011

Let's Re-Rename the Bowls


Back in my day ... bowl games had normal names. It was very rare that a bowl had a sponsor for a name. Just over 20 years ago, that changed. Now, even bowls with historic names (like the Peach Bowl or Citrus Bowl) have been sponsor-ized (Chick-fil-A Bowl, Capital One Bowl).

Even those games with normal names are usually preceeded by some obscure sponsor. So who are these people?

Let's take it back to the old school and name our bowls the proper way.

We're fine with the Independence, Poinsettia, Armed Forces, Alamo, Military, Holiday, Music City, Pinstripe, Liberty, Sun, Gator, Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, St Pete, New Orleans, Humanitarian, New Mexico and Sugar Bowls.

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl (Emerald Bowl): What? This was once the San Francisco Bowl ... then the Emerald Bowl. Even though the Emerald Bowl was named after a company that provides nuts to the world, it is much better than the KFHB!

BBVA Compass Bowl (All-American Bowl): Stupid name. This was once the PapaJohns.com Bowl. But let's go back a bit when the All-American Bowl was played in Birmingham. Let's go back to that.

GoDaddy.com Bowl (Mobile Bowl): No. I still don't know what GoDaddy.com does! Go back to just the Mobile Bowl.

Outback Bowl (Hall of Fame Bowl): I love Outback Steakhouse. I just ate there last Wednesday and had one of the best meals I've had in a long time. But this was once the Hall Of Fame Bowl and should be once again. Call it the "Outback Hall Of Fame Bowl" if you want, just bring the old name back.

Capital One Bowl (Citrus Bowl): No brainer. Nothing should make you more mad than the historic Citrus Bowl turned into a credit card event.

Chick-fil-A Bowl (Peach Bowl): I love Chick-fil-A, but I still call it the Peach Bowl. It is, has been and always will be the Peach Bowl to me. This renaming finishes second among the bowls that make me sick from their name change.

Insight Bowl (Copper Bowl): I don't like cable (I'm a DirecTV man) so I don't care about Insight. Go back to the cooler name of the Copper Bowl. It just fits.

Champs Sports Bowl (Tangerine Bowl): I spent the holidays in a lot of malls and I think I went into every mall's Champs Sports store. I bought nothing from any of them. Go back to the Tangerine Bowl. C'mon, Orlando!

Little Caesars Bowl (Motor City Bowl): Should be an easy fix. Just call it the Little Caesars Motor City Bowl and everyone will be happy. Football! Football!

Hawaii Bowl (Aloha Bowl): I don't have much of a problem with the name "Hawaii Bowl". But we had the Aloha Bowl for all those years. Let's get that back.

Las Vegas Bowl (Silver Bowl): Again, I'm not hating the LV Bowl name. But the Silver Bowl sounds much better. Especially when you would have the Copper Bowl just south of it.

Texas Bowl (Bluebonnet Bowl): I'm not a stickler for this one, but Bluebonnet Bowl brings back old memories. Texas Bowl sounds contrite.

TicketCity Bowl should go back to the Dallas Football Classic. Maybe go back a ways and call it the Dixie Classic again. The Meineke Car Care Bowl should go back to the original name of Queen City Bowl.

There, normal names. Let's go back to them, please!!!!

No comments: