Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tiger's Problems Aren't Our Business ... But It Is the Sponsors'


I heard this comment earlier today: "You know, it's nobody's business what Tiger Woods does in his personal lives. Not ours and not his sponsors." I've heard this a few times in the last couple of weeks.

True, this isn't our business. The fact that Tiger Woods is revealed to be a serial adulterer is meaningless to the average joe ... except those who are trying to keep their wives and girlfriends away from him. This doesn't change the fact that he has been the most dominant golfer over the past decade and the guy I put atop my list of greatest champions of the decade.

However, I strongly disagree with saying that this isn't the sponsors' business. Of course it is! When sponsors endorse athletes, musicians, actors or whomever ... they are buying the total package. The on the field guy and the off the field guy. Advertising is all about image and when your image has been tarnished, it affects business.

Did you understand when advertisers dropped Michael Vick? I know, I know, Vick was convicted of a heinous crime and Tiger is just a plain ol' cheater ... but using your reasoning, Vick's dogfighting ring is none of our business since it happened off the field. You and I know that's ridiculous.

Now, would Tiger's indiscretions keep me from buying a Tag Heuer watch? Nope, but I couldn't afford one anyways. Does it mean I'll stay away from Nike equipment? Nope. I don't blame people who will stay away from Tiger-endorsed products, but it doesn't sway me. However, it is those people who are turned off by Tiger's issues that concern sponsors.

It is their business.

No comments: