Thursday, April 6, 2006

Sportz' HOME RUN DERBY Team

I love Fantasy Sports.  The problem with fantasy sports, to me, is that I end up having to run the leagues.  Now, our Fantasy Football League is a lot of fun to do.  I'm even in a Fantasy Nascar League [all ya gotta do there is add up the points in the standings].  But I've struggled to get a baseball one going.

Let me just say, despite being a sports stats geek.....I'm not a baseball stats geek, which is odd.  I just don't care about all those new stats they come up with to try to dissect everyone.  So, in past fantasy baseball years....we've ran just a HR-RBI-RUNS-HITS league.  For every HR, you get 3 pts.  For every RBI, you get 2 pts.  And for runs and hits you get 1 pt each.  Pretty simple, eh? 

You'd think....until you gotta manage it.  First off, the draft took a week since we all work on different schedules.  In Year One, I did all the freaking research myself....and it'd take my 3 hours to do.  Screw that.  Last year, I put all the info on YAHOO SPORTS [sorry, AOL] since they could run the league that I wanted instead of a league they wanted.  It was cool, but it was tough for me to manage all these people's transactions.

So....it's just this.  Power.

We each wrote down our top 40 power hitters in our own ranking.....drew a draft order....and then did the auto draft.  We get three drop/adds all year and ONE opportunity the place somebody on an IR list and add someone to take his place.  Meaning, if Barry Bonds goes out in April and won't be back until July....you can hold him on your lineup and add someone to take his spot until he returns.  But you can do that only once.

So, here is the team that I inherited this season.

              

MANNY RAMIREZ-RED SOX.  Since my top four picks were all gone [A-Rod, Dunn, Ortiz and Pujols] Manny is a welcome additions.  He had 45 HRs last year.....5th in the league.

                       

VLAD GUERRERO-ANGELS.  Under past rules, this is a great pick.  Now, it is a bit sketchy.  Guerrero only played in 141 games last year, so his HR totals were a bit low.  I think he can top his 32 HR total of last year....which put him 20th.

                                    

CLIFF FLOYD-METS.  A sleeper, maybe, but I think with the addition of Delgado to go along with the other hitting prospects on the Mets, he will be able to get some HR chances.  If he matches his great season last year....with his 34 HRs...I will be happy.

                              

PAT BURRELL-PHILLIES.  I wasn't thrilled when his name came up on my sheet...but I gotta take it.  Burrell did have as many HRs as Vlad did last year. 

                                    

JERMAINE DYE-WHITE SOX.  This guy could sink or save me.  He had his 2nd career best HR season last year [with 31] but just four years ago he had just 4 in 65 games.....which was a stretch where in 3 of 4 years he didn't reach 100 games played.

                                

JASON LANE-ASTROS.  Well, Lane was my final pick.  His 26 HRs would be nice again....but I'm not holding my breath.  Hopefully The Juice Box will benefit his HR totals......and mine.

No comments: