Friday, August 12, 2005

Horrible Crash

Man.  That is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.  If you haven't seen or heard about it, Carlos Beltran and Mike Cameron were both going full speed for a ball hit in shallow right-center field. 

Both dove head first for the ball.....and they ended up head-first into each other. 

Beltran eventually got up, a little woozy, and would leave the game later with a sore shoulder and a cut.  Cameron wasn't so lucky.  He left on a stretcher with a neck brace on.  He went to the hospital for a CT scan....has a broken nose and multiple facial fractures. 

Here is some comments from people around the scene:

CARLOS BELTRAN:  "I don't remember anything of what happened.  I don't remember how it happened, I know we got hit. I feel like I got hit by a train."......."Of course, after a collision like that, I feel good that I'm OK. My shoulder feels sore, but I'll be fine."

METS 1ST BASEMAN MARLON ANDERSON:  "I couldn't imagine being a paramedic going to the scene of a wreck. That's what that was, pretty much, a wreck."

METS LF CLIFF FLOYD:  "I couldn't go over there, man.  Once I saw the blood, I'm not good with blood.   It choked me up for a minute.  We were laughing and giggling one minute, the next minute, a man's down on the ground, both of them."

METS PITCHER TOM GLAVINE:  "There's always things that happen from time to time that put baseball into perspective for everybody, and this is certainly one of those instances.  The game, as much as you want to win it, it's kind of secondary to how those guys are doing, especially Cam.  It stinks that we lost and it stinks that one of our buddies got hurt."  

PADRES MANAGER BRUCE BOCHY:  "It was as scary a moment that you can have on the field.  Our thoughts are with them."

Cameron willbe on the 15-day DL.  Let's hope he gets back on the field soon. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Met fan and this is devastating to me but doesn't look like Cameron kissing Beltran