Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rushing the Court Is Played Out ... But I Don't Want to Stop It


Let me start off by saying that I hate it when college fans storm the court/field after a win. I'm willing to bet that 75% of times fans rush the field of play is unnecessary. However, there is that 25% that I can get with.

Both sides of the argument, to me, happened last night in the ACC.

After Miami beat Wake Forest by 27, it pained me to see the Hurricanes' fans storming the court. After all, Miami brings back nearly all of their NCAA Tournament team from last year while Wake Forest hasn't sniffed the tournament since Chris Paul left four years ago. Yes, they are ranked No. 6 and they had just occupied the top spot in the rankings last month (Miami is currently unranked).

To me, it was unnecessary. The Canes are good enough to expect a win like this.

Now let me talk out of both sides of my mouth. I have no problem with Clemson storming the court after their 27-point win over Duke. Yeah, Clemson is No. 10 and theoretically should expect to beat anyone in the nation in Littlejohn Coliseum. Even No. 3 Duke.

However, Duke had won the last 20 regular season games against Clemson. Clemson hadn't beaten Duke at home since 1997. Remember that this is a Tigers program that has only recently come out of the shadows to matter again (last year was their first tournament appearance in nearly a decade). These same Tigers have spent that time getting kicked in the shin by the top teams in the ACC. They've struggled against the UNCs, Dukes and lost a big home game to Wake Forest earlier this year.

Clemson's history dictates that they don't win games like this.

If anything, their fans were celebrating their arrival. This team has been pretty good over the past four or five years but have seen their team tank once February rolls around. This win proves that they are legit contenders for the ACC crown.

So, I excuse Clemson fans but condemn Miami fans.

I will say this. Back in 1994, UNC-Charlotte (where I was attending) toppled Louisville at the decrepit Old Charlotte Coliseum/Independence Arena/Cricket Arena/Bojangles Arena. Fans stormed the court after that game. A game I missed because I had tickets to a Hornets game (I believe). That was one of my few regrets in my sporting life.

Far be it for me to smack down today's students for having their moment.

No comments: