Wednesday, February 11, 2009

IF I WERE COMMISH: Changing the NBA All Star Game


For years, I've taken some time to just throw out ideas of various changes in sports if I was the Ultimate Commissioner Of All Sport!

Today, I'm looking at the NBA All Star Game.

When I was a kid, I loved all the All Star games. I loved seeing Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing and Larry Bird on the same squad. I loved the pick-up style the game took. I even loved the Slam Dunk contest and all those festivities.

Now it is more about the party than the game. That's fine and all, but I want my game back!

MAKE IT A PICK-UP GAME: I am cool with having the two best players in the league (that decision is made by David Stern) standing at half court with the next 22 best players waiting to see who gets picked. Then watch, say, Kobe and LeBron take turns picking players for their team.

Let the fans vote for six guys ... regardless of conference ... that they definitely want in the game. Then have the coaches vote for the other 16 players.

I can see it now. Kobe uses his first pick on D-Wade. Then LeBron takes Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. Kobe then takes Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki. And so on.

No comments: