Saturday, February 28, 2009

OMG! I Get It!!! The Redskins Have a Bad History With Free Agents!


So, I go to work today feeling pretty good about the Redskins reeling in Albert Haynesworth from the free agent pool. I had my Redskins hat and jacket on (it was kinda cool today in the 'Nati area) and ready for the "ooohs" and "aaahhhs" that may come my way.

Remember, I just said I live in the Cincinnati area. These people root for a team where their next big free agent signing will be their first. Last season, they signed Haynesworth's former teammate Antwan Odom to the biggest free agent deal in franchise history. Their team is sitting back and watching Stacy Andrews leave for Philly and T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Cedric Benson courting other teams.

Those Bengal fans were all over my Redskins.

"They are just trying to buy a championship!" one said. Um, yeah. "Haynesworth ain't worth $100 million" another said. I can get with that but I also understand that it will probably be a cold day in hell before Haynesworth actually sees all of that $100 million. The way NFL contracts work (which no one fully understands; but many are clueless) the Redskins and Haynesworth may rework this deal or trash it all together before the contract ends in 2015. And if Haynesworth does make it those seven years and get all that $100 - $115 million? Well, I guess he played up to it.

Then I heard the same thing that I read on blogs and message boards: "Here comes another Redskins bust." That is unfair and untrue.

Unfair because many, many teams have overspent on guys. Sure, my Redskins have done it more than most. But to pin it all on Washington isn't right. I watched as people reeled off names like Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Jeremiah Trotter, Adam Archuleta and Dana Stubblefield. No one mentions London Fletcher, Shawn Springs (who was cut earlier today), Andre Carter or that trade/signing of Clinton Portis. Again, you can say that is picking nits but to say that every single free agent signing has been perceived as a bust is unjust.

Untrue because none of that has anything to do with what happened today. What do those failures have to do with Haynesworth? Most of those busts were past their primes; Haynesworth is climbing up his. He drew strong support to be the defensive player of the year last season (some were putting him in MVP categories) and turns 28 in June. He has many, many great games in front of him.

Like someone wrote today, if the Redskins hadn't signed him, someone else would have broken the bank for him.

1 comment:

BettorFan said...

Hanynesworth is worth every penny. Forget buying a championship, they still need work, but this is closer to the Lombardi trophy. - BettorFan