Monday, February 2, 2009

Not-So-Final Observations Of Super Bowl XLIII

First off, it was a great game. I had no dog in the fight but I found myself rooting for Arizona. I typically hate the Cardinals (that's my Redskins fandom remembering those old NFC East days).

Here are some other thoughts about the game.

-Kurt Warner is is awsome. Yeah, his team lost but he now owns the three best passing days in Super Bowl history. That is unreal no matter who you are.

-Santonio Holmes has become a star. I must admit that I haven't thought too highly of him as a great receiver. But Holmes came up big all game and especially that final drive. Ya know, the drive that ended on his amazing TD grab.

-The officiating was suspect. I'm normally not a guy that bangs on the refs. That is a bitch of a job. Still, there are a few calls I didn't understand. The roughing the passer call, a couple of the holds and the fact they didn't at least look at Kurt Warner's fumble. I can get the call on that one, but how in the heck did they not take a look at it.

-Arizona had this game. It's one thing to lose a game of this magnitude. It's quite another when you let it slip from your hands. Forget the fact that the Cards held a 23-20 lead with just over 2 minutes left. They could have had a 23-13 then if they had not let James Harrison return that pick for a TD. They could have had a 30-13 or 26-13 lead if they had coverted on some points on that drive.

-Bruce Springsteen is still The Boss. I'm not a huge Springsteen fan though I do have several favorite songs. But this was the first time in a long time that I actually watched the halftime show.

-The commercials weren't that funny. There were some good ones, but you can see the effect of the economy on our comedy.

-My Super Bowl feast was perfect. I don't do Super Bowl parties anymore because I want to watch the game. So my wife and I just create a small feast of grub for the two of us (and anyone that stops by). I had the bacon cheddar fries, buffalo wings, garlic wings, mozzerella sticks, chips and dip and my Pepsi (McGruber). We didn't even get to cook up the onion rings, spinach bites or pizza bites.

-Big Ben was indeed "big". I know Holmes was huge in that final drive, but Ben Roethlisberger deserved the MVP. He made some outstanding throws on that drive and spent the entire game buying time and making something out of nothing. He just eliminated all that talk about how bad he was in Super Bowl XL.

-Was this the chippiest Super Bowl? There were more personal fouls in this Super Bowl than any one I can remember. The pushing, shoving and fighting going on made this game look like it was between division rivals that are sick of each other. Oh, and how Harrison wasn't thrown out after decking the Cardinals' tackle is beyond me.

-Steelers Dynasty? I don't think it is, but what Pittsburgh has just done cannot be dismissed. With the youth of the team and the coaching staff (save Dick LeBeau), they can keep this up for a while. Pittsburgh has placed themselves up with the Dallas Cowboys as the ultimate Super Bowl franchise. The Steelers now have a record six titles and has now done it in two different eras. The Cowboys did something similar in the 1970s and early 1990s.

No comments: