Monday, February 13, 2006

Sportz-ing Some New Gadgets

                       

Just one week after dropping heavy cheese on Mrs Sportz' wedding set [she's been without for two years after a mishap with her first set].....I went on a bit of a shopping spree.

Let's just say that me at Best Buy can cause some damage.

Last summer, it was my flat screen HDTV and a few TIVOs for the Sportz Room I have hooked up in my basement.  This time...nothing that extravagant...but nearly as cool.

Yeah, I bit it and got one of those new ESPN Mobile phones [New Cell Phone: Mobile ESPN Cell Phone | Mobile ESPN].  Man, this thing is cool! 

It has ESPN pretty much on demand by hitting the "E" button in the middle of the phone.  Go there, and another world opens.  It has"

*NEWS.  Obviously the top news in sports.
*SCORES AND GAMECAST:  Click there, and you get a screen full of up to date scores.  The Gamecast will allow you to essentially watch the game play-by-play just like you can on ESPN.com.  I did so during the UNC-Miami game tonight while me and my wife watched "Just Like Heaven". 
*COLUMNISTS:  The normal ESPN fare.
*VIDEO:  You can watch SportsCenter-esque highlights. 
*HOT CORNER:  The buzz stories.
*ALERTS:  Breaking news to your phone.
*SPORTSNATION:  Like ESPN.com, a place where you can vote in those various polls on SportsCenter.
*FANTASY:  Yep, you can manage your fantasy teams from your phone!!!  I have yet to use this, but it seems to have some promise.
*FAVORITE TEAMS AND PLAYERS:  You can select up to 5 favorite teams...and they'll have icons on the menu.  Go to those icons, and that team's page comes up with n news, scores and other stuff.  You also can select 15 of your favorite players to keep track of.  Nice!

My ringer [which was built in] is the SportsCenter theme.  It uses Sprint....but doesn't go thru Sprint's normal plans....which sucked because my wife and I have Sprint.  But, the plans are pretty reasonable for what you get.  It also comes with a year of ESPN The Magazine and ESPN Insider with it.

I also got the new ARENA FOOTBALL game from EA Sports.  Pretty cool....but you need to work with it if you aren't familiar with the AFL.  The running clock is what got me....as the clock doesn't stop with changing possessions and it's tough for me to catch a kickoff.  But the gameplay is cool....and fast. 

I also bought NHL 06 but have yet to try it out. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Granted, I'm French... but you should really install a Bat-Pole that would let you be in your Sportz Room 2 seconds after talking to wifey about the bedroom curtains or the wedding set. Call it a 9-11 tribute to firefighters, and be on some "now ya see me, now ya don't" s**t.

While I've never been to Kentucky, I can assure you that this would be the coolest home feature in 4 counties.