Tuesday, January 10, 2006

GET RID OF THE PRO BOWL!!!!!

                        

Since you are reading this....you most likely have checked my blog out before.  So you know I love my football.  With my NFL Sunday Ticket, I've watched a least part of every freaking game this year.  The one game I won't watch?  The NFL Pro Bowl. 

It is the dumbest idea.  I mean, we all know why the game is held after the season....because an injury mid season in that game could be devestating.  Understood.  But why have this game at all???

*Most of the players don't even play in this game.  Many of them are getting those nagging injuries dealt with...some in surgery, some in rehab, some with rest. 

*That's good for those NFL reporters who go on and on and on and on about the "snubs".  Don't cry for the snubs....they'll get to Hawaii.  They'll be plenty of guys dropping out and letting these snubs find their way in.

*Um, some guys are a bit rusty.  I'm sure all those Charger defenders will be psyched to be in the Pro Bowl.  Problem is that they will not have played a game in 43 days.  Just like all the non-playoff players. 

*We don't need to see an NFL coach with a flower shirt on and a lei.  And is there a freaking law that you MUST wear a Hawaiian shirt in Hawaii??  Does anyone just wear a t-shirt....or a polo shirt??  Why must those coaches [even the NCAA hoops coaches in those Maui Classics] insist on wearing that garb???

*It is the biggest anti climatic event in the history of mankind.  I mean, the NFL builds and builds and builds into a Super Bowl frenzy.  I mean....the Wildcard Weekend, Divisional Round, Conference Championships and then the Super Bowl.  The two weeks of buildup to the ultimate sporting event of our year.  The thing that even non-sports fans get into.  The betting, the parties, the events, the commercials, the game.  After that game and the aftermath....you get the Pro Bowl  Ugh.  A meaningless game.

*And it isn't even a real NFL game.  Therules change.  I mean, there is like, no blitzing and limited coverage packages and the like.  So, more offense and nobody gets hurt.  Why not just have two-hand touch?  Or flag football?  Or just not have the game at all?

I vote to get rid of this game.  Football is known for their "teams" and awards.  I mean, the NCAA's All American Team doesn't go and play games.  The ACC All Conference Team doesn't take on the Big XII All Conference team in a game.  So why should the AFC and NFC match wits?  After all, we kinda know who is the better conference when that conference champion wins the Super Bowl a week earlier. 

Unlike the NBA or Major League Baseball....there really are no "dream teams".  We all loved seeing that Shaq-Duncan-Garnett front line in the NBA all star game.  Or those murderous lineups you can throw up there in the Midsummer Classic.  But no one needs to see a Manning-to-Chad Johnson TD pass.  Or Tom Brady handing the ball off to Larry Johnson. 

No.  Just give us the ALL PRO team and let that be that.  That's all we really care about anyways.  Well, that...and not seeing a Redskin helmet on a blue uniform covered with white stars. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sportz, I realize that the Pro Bowl is useless but I enjoy it. I mean, I don't watch all of it but it isn't all that bad. A guy may blow his life on it with an injury but for those that didn't win the MVP or rookie of the year trophy, it shows them that they have been recognized for the excellence in that year.

Anonymous said...

YES!

Anonymous said...

So True, So true, get rid of it, means nothing to nobody but broadcasters and commercial time slots.

Anonymous said...

this is so not true I like the ProBowl

Anonymous said...

If we do away with the Pro Bowl, we are doing away with just another of the many incentive clauses that many players have, and how would they make ends meet without it?

Anonymous said...

Finally I get someone who agrees with me about the Pro Bowl! Yes indeed, it is a useless game. For these reasons. First of all, why does it always have to be in Hawaii? I lived over there for three years, and not once did I go to the stupid thing. Aiea, Hawaii, the home of Aloha Stadium, is hardly the football capital of the United States. They rarely if ever sell that place out. The University of Hawaii does Okay with their games, but that is about it. This business of the NFC VS the AFC? Isn't that what the Super Bowl is all about? This all-star thing is so anti-climactic a week after the Super Bowl. You say it is a chance to see some great players? Sorry, I want a great team that has fought together all season long. I guess they cannot very well have it at mid season the way baseball has their all star game due to the injury factor. Instead, why don't they switch it to pre-season? Doesn't the NFL have spring practice? If so, then culminate it with the Pro Bowl. Secondly, rotate it around the nation so other cities get a crack at it, not just Aiea (bet you didn't even know that was where it took place, did you?). Somehow I think they have it in Hawaii every year just to keep the players interested in going, but what do I know? I am just a fan. If they cannot switch it to pre-season, and rotate it around to different cities, then they should just get rid of the stupid game.

Anonymous said...

Hold up just one minute.   I have went to the Pro Bowl for the last 10 years  I will say that the game may seem a waste of time to you but you are watching it on television.  To be at the Pro Bowl on the 50** first row is very exciting.  Yes everyone is wearing flower shirts duh!  we are in Hawaii.  This event is an event that recognizes the best of the NFL and frankly I think it is well deserved.  These guys work hard all year and a trip to Hawaii is their gift of thanks!  Hawaii is paradise and has been hosting the Pro Bowl for the last 25 years.  We will not get rid of it because the Pro Bowl not in Hawaii will seem like a senseless thing to do.  And if you were truly a football fan you wouldnt of put this statement here.  Dont you think your favorite player deserves to be honored in the most beautiful place in the world?  I will go to the Pro Bowl until the day I cant travel to Hawaii anymore I LOVE IT!