Friday, October 14, 2005

Name Droppin' Pt V

Every once in a while...I just feel compelled to share with everyone the bits and takes from the other blogs I read just so everyone can get in on the knowledge.

Mrs. Sportz Assassin:  Her Survior Blog chronicles what happened this past Thursday night.  "My favorite quote of the show: "Blake talks about himself ALL THE TIME!"  Brandon.   Get right out of town, can you not tell by looking at him that's how he would be?!!  Lydia's pancake dance?!!  WTf was that about?! LoL"

Always read Two Minute Warning....a blog that I write for.  There is a take about Nomar rescuing a couple of chicks....plus my take on the NFL in Mexico.

Diecast Dude's Blog:  A nice take on the usage of the word "curious".  But you gotta read the entry Coming Soon... where he hits on "The film debut by the Gang Of Four, "A Hard Blog's Night," is already gathering rave reviews before its national debut this Saturday evening.  Starring those lovable moptops already known the world over for their zany antics, the movie follows the madcap action of our four heroes individually and collectively saving NASCAR from itself".

DC Sports Guy:  He chronicles the current trend of bloggers becoming the news to the real reporters.  Pretty funny.  Usually, we bloggers are loathed by the "real media types" since we smuggly hold up our websites since we really answer to no one.  All the while, they went to school, fight for jobs, etc to do the same thing.  But...here is where bloggers rule to a fault.  We are fans.  Those sports writers are not.  Take Mr. Skip Bayless, for example.  He's been the writer in Dallas, the Bay Area, Mars where he has to"cover" the local teams.  We don't.  We speak out of love, to a fault, about the teams and sports we love.  And we don't have to kiss anyone's butt for future interview purposes.  [::stepping off my soapbox::]

                                   

Coztanza's Commentary takes us back to the beginning of the current Yankee dynasty.  "This past week marked the tenth anniversary of a classic baseball postseason series. In 1995 the New York Yankees and Seattle Mariners met in the first ever Division Series, one which would go the distance. It featured tremendous games, an amazing comeback, and a finish that rivals any in the history of baseball. It saved baseball in one city, and spurred the moves that launched a dynasty for the other. Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS was one of the greatest and most significant contests in the history of baseball."  Indeed.  Remember, this was the season after the cancelled World Series and the first postseason with a wildcard team.  Excellent take by G-Coz....as he details that 1995 season and puts it in my head like it just happened last year.

Monponsett takes us on a ride with Michelle Wie...and how she non-chalantly goes pro while the NBA is busy trying to keep teens out of their league.  "The NBA will point to a rule they drew up, and tell the kid it's nothing personal. David Stern won't tell the kid that American public mentality feels that you can't give a black kid $60 million, or that the same black kid is- genetically and demographically- less qualified to operate in the world than a tennis player, a curveball artist, or a golfer."  While I am in favor of the NBA and NFL age limit [these are team sports, while Wie, like the Williams sisters, are playing for themselves]....I do understand where this comes from.  Please, take a read ofher take on this.

                                         

Premature Jock-ularity is smacking on the issue of the day...the playoffs.  I love his take here..."There's been enough cursing of Fox for putting both games on simultaneously (and farming one out to FX), as well as ESPN's first-pitch competition with the 11 o'clock news. I'll try to be as brief as possible: I'm old enough to remember coming home from school and watching postseason baseball, even after the conversion to night games began in 1971. I couldn't always stay up to watch all of the night game, but I usually got to see the Oakland-Baltimore late-afternoon clashes (and even saw the famous '73 Pete Rose-Bud Harrelson dukeout in a classroom during some long-forgotten after-school activity). Thankfully, today's kids got to enjoy some weekday afternoon games on ESPN last week, but Fox had to go and turn grinch in the second round. Oh well, remember The Baseball Network in '95, when you only got to see one of the four Division Series games each night?"  As a 30-yr old....I spent most World Series asleep because I had school in the morning.  I missed Kirby Puckett's catch.  I missed a lot of World Series finals.  I used to turn on the TODAY SHOW the next morning just to get their quick blurb on who won the previous night.  In addition to what Pre-Jock has been saying...I don't see why Major League Baseball doesn't take a page out of the NFL's book and offer up a American League package and a National League package.  Two broadcast networks would have baseball with the World Series rotated.  Hey, works for the NFL.  Sure, the AL would command more money with the Yankees and Red Sox...but the NL has two more teams and Barry Bonds.   In the NFL, the NFC commands more money due to the larger markets they serve.

Quick Slants is a lucky somma-gun that getsto go to USC-Notre Dame.  He brags about it on his blog.  "It dawned on me today at the office, while I was sitting in a quiet, windowless room waiting for a phone to ring (don't ask), that I'll be at the biggest college football game of the entire season this Saturday."  You suck!!!!


Yannis' Sports Journal recaps "Juiced" by Jose Canseco...goes over his fantasy preview....and is doing a bang-up job as the host of Roundball Bloggers

Saved By The Blog.  JESUS CHRIST.  Just read it.   I've probably learned more about blogging from reading Chris' blog.  To this day, I remember him saying on "The Show with Jess Atkinson" [is that even on anymore???]  that people like to see pictures.  From there, I've always made an effort to keep my blogs full of color and stuff to look at.  As Butthead once said..."reading sucks!"

 

LAKERS IN TRANSITION takes us into Lakers camp.  My favorite team.  Raisin [author] says that "Kobe and Phil say there WILL NOT be a problem.  Kobe looks ready to play and has put some of that muscle he lost a a couple of years ago back on his frame. "  Sounds good to me!!!

Alex's Sports Blog gives a take about "Are you not as interested this ALCS that the Red Sox and/or Yankees aren't playing, or are you happy that new faces are dominating the postseason?".  I have to remember that Alex is, what, 12?  So, to him....the Yankees and Red Sox are always competing right now.  Also...only the White Sox are really new.  The Angels won a title 3 years ago...and they'vebeen right there ever since.  Here is my take.  To me, it is just as exciting that those two teams are not in it right now.  I understand where Alex is coming from...as last year's NBA playoffs blew for me since the Lakers were M.I.A.  But ask fans in Chicago, Denver, Miami, San Antonio, Phoenix, Seattle, Washington and the rest if the NBA playoffs were boring.  Same thing here.  Chicago and Los Angeles are buzzing...and they are the #2 and #3 media markets.  While the Eastern seaboard may be sulking...the rest of the country loves both teams BECAUSE they took out Boston and New York.  Most of us are tired of being force fed those two teams as it is...that another ALCS with them would almost make me take a gun to my head. 

The Scottsman gives a take on Charlotte and Humpy Wheeler.  Being from Charlotte...I was very excited to read his take.  By the way...my preseason pick of Tony Stewart is turning out to be a good one!!!

The Ohio LeBlog is on hiatus until the Cavaliers season starts.  With the Indians puttering at the end and Ohio State essentially out of any BCS bowl....I understand he's a bit bent.  But I wanna read his take on LeBron's injury. 

Ramblings from the NBA Asylum [one of my personal favorites, whether it is blogging, e-mails or message boards] has his takes on all the offseason moves. 

The Sportz Guru Report.  Thank God you are back!!!

The WildCat Blog.  Tree's doing more in his Packers blog right now....but I can see that he is gearing up for the upcoming Kentucky season [I'm not].  I will always say that Tree is the best Kentucky fan because I really, really, really think he is the ONLY non-myopic UK fan in the entire state of Kentucky.  I really mean it. 

Sports Bar & Buffet always has a "buffet" of topics to discuss.  
Yankees "But the New York Yankees have 208 million pieces of green paper that proved to be not worth as much as Steinbrenner originally calculated."
Longhorns 
"Odds are [Mack Brown] could put up Texas' first undefeated season in 36 years. And instead of a national champion, he could be this year's Auburn.  Question: How could we end up in the wrong place two years in a row? "
Lew, you know that I think that Texas is a better team than USC right now.  No one dares knock down the Trojans until they knock themselves off.  Well, except me.  I would almost......almost....put V-Tech ahead of USC too. 
And, of course, he's reveling in the Boys smackdown of the Eagles.

hockey player animation

 Calling the shots actually has hockey on his blog.  I thought I [and DieCastDude] was the only one!!!  And I barely know squat!!

Remembering Oldie's Moldies gives his fantasy nuggets for Week 6.  "If Peyton Manning does not do it against the Rams it is time for his owners in ff to give up the ghost. Tony Dungy obviously thinks more about winning then building up stats for Peyton."

And, finally, the mighty mjd sports blog.  Here ya go:  "I get an e-mail yesterday from the CafePress.com people stating that they had to take down one of my items because someone else is claiming that it infringed on their intellectual property rights. I'm not going to name the company, but they apparently have something to do with college athletics and their licensing... things of that nature.  Theitem in question was a t-shirt that said, in a plain font, "i went to a colorado football game and all i got was forcefully sodomized." There were no logos, no mascots mentioned, nothing of the sort. I posted it soon after the Katie Hnida/Every-Other-Female-in-Colorado rape incidents, I wasn't happy with the responses of Gary Barnett and the people at Colorado and I thought the shirt was sort of a funny way to take a little jab at them.  Now, I don't care about having to remove it. I took down the t-shirt, the image, all of that. And I have no desire to put them back up. But I'm justwondering, and maybe someone who's involved with law can tell me... is that really an infringement? Can the words "colorado football game" not appear at all on an unlicensed t-shirt?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mention the Sharks a lot on East Bay Grease.

Anonymous said...

Yeah....DieCast....you are right.  I will correct that....lol

-Sportz

Anonymous said...

I fully endorse all of these blogs.

Jamie