Monday, August 2, 2004

Classic Dumb Sports Quotes

"I was in a no-win situation, so I'm glad that I won rather than lost."
-Boxer Frank Bruno

"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."
-Greg Norman

"There have been injuries and deaths in boxing, but none of them serious."
-Alan Minter

"Watch the time. It gives you an indication of how fast they are running."
-Ron Pickering

“We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too.”
-Patrick Ewing

"I dunno. I never smoked any Astroturf."
-Tug McGraw, asked whether he preferred grass or Astroturf

"I told Roland Hemond to go out and get me a big name pitcher. He said, 'Dave Wehrmeister's got 11 letters. Is that a big enough name for you ?'"
-Eddie Eichorn, White Sox owner

"I am the most loyal player money can buy."
-Don Sutton

"I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."
-Shaquille O'Neal on whether he had visited the Parthenon during his visit to Greece

"People think we make $3 million and $4 million a year. They don't realize that most of us only make $500,000."
-Pete Incaviglia

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

"They shouldn't throw at me. I'm the father of five or six kids."
-Baseball player Tito Fuentes

"There is one word in America that says it all, and that word is, 'You never know.'"
-Pitcher Joaquin Andujar

"Any time Detroit scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points, they almost always win."
-Doug Collins

"My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt."
-Chuck Nevitt

“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll escape into Bolivian.”

-Mike Tyson

"Why does everybody stand up and sing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' when they're already there?"
-Larry Anderson,

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theismann

"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."
-George Rogers

"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious."
-Charles Shackleford

"Play some Picasso."
-Former New Jersey Net Chris Morris, to a piano player at a hotel bar while trying to impress a date.

"I'm glad you're doing this story on us and not on the WNBA. We're so much prettier than all the other women in sports."
-Martina Hingis

"He called me a 'rapist' and a 'recluse'. I'm not a recluse."
-Mike Tyson

"Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the Cambridge president is kissing the cox of the Oxford crew."
-Harry Carpenter - BBC TV Boat Race 1977

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Yogi Berra?

Anonymous said...

Tyson: "Hannibal invaded Cartilage "..."My style is impetuous"...."He was convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard"....

Mickey Rivers: "That wind was blowing 100 degrees"..."What was that dog on Rin Tin Tin called?"......"Me and George and Billy are two of a kind."


Yogi Berra, for the guy below...."Baseball is 50% hitting, and 50% fielding....oh yeah, and 50% hitting"..."It ain't over till it's over"...."Cut that pizza into 4 slices...I'm not hungry enough for six"

Jim Wohford: "Ninety percent of the game is half mental."

Mike Greenwell: "I'm a 4-wheel-drive pickup type of guy. So is my wife."


Roberto Kelly: "It's permanent, for now."

Jerry Coleman..."Hector Torrez, how can you communicate with Enzo Hernandez when he speaks Spanish and you speak Mexican ?"

Skip Caray: "It's a partial sellout."

Ralph Kiner: "He's inwardly outgoing"..."In the hunt to buy the San Francisco Giants was George Shinn, owner of the Charlotte Harlots."

Anonymous said...

...."Baseball is 50% hitting, and 50% fielding....oh yeah, and 50% pitching"

I must have got a Contact High while reading the Yogi quotes.