Friday, May 14, 2004

How Did You Celebrate?

With the Lakers/Spurs epic finish Thursday night, I asked about your stories of where you were, how you celebrated, and how you felt about those final minutes.  Here are some stories:

GYPSYSLV:  I was watching the game alone.  I can't watch a Laker game with anyone but my ex.  I get too involved.

So about 5 minutes left and my ex calls me from South Carolina.  We see the lead slipping and we are sweating bullets. Then Duncan makes his go ahead shot.  There is absolute quiet on both sides of the coast.  My heart practically stops and I grimace watching the Spurs celebrate.

Then Fish makes his miracle shot.  Now, I spend my evenings either au natural or in a T-shirt only.  Last night - I had on my Laker shirt (of course) and nothing else.  The shot dropped through the basket and I jumped off the couch and started screaming at the top of my lungs while my ex is doing the same.  I am running around the coffee table and screaming like a banshee.  After what seemed like 5 minites, we calmed down and I started laughing realizing I had peed on my carpet.  <g>

And yea - I'm steam cleaning tomorrow!!  I know I'll never live this one down but as long as the Lakers rip that trophy out of the Spurs hands, I'll live with it.

SPORTZ:  I was at work.  I missed most of the Spurs comeback...but caught Parker's layup to give the Spurs the 3 pt lead.  Obviously pissed, I stayed in the breakroom to catch the final 2 minutes of the game [which lasted about 30].  When Duncan hit that shot...my stomach just knotted up.  To have such a big game in hand then let it go like that was sickening.  I just saw in my mind Game 6 last year and the egg the Lakers layed.  Though I though the Lakers have a shot to win it....it was a small shot.  Whoops.  I mean, a BIG shot.  When Fisher hit it...my hands went skyward and I yelled out an "Holy [expletive]" in glee.  As I nervously watched the replays to see if it would stand, my eloquent statement was repeated as I danced out the door back to my job [I was to be leaving at 11pm anyways, which is when the game pretty much ended].  As I walked back to my area, my hands were completely sore from clapping as I told everyone [even those who had no idea what I was talking about] about Fish's shot.  I even came home and told my wife about it...and she was like "so they won the championship?"  Ah....the innocence of your woman not knowing the complexities of sport.  I explained that they haven't technically won the championship....it went a long way to getting it.

RANCID:  One of the best celebrations ever...seriously.  When Fisher hit that shot, I jumped in my pool with all my clothes on...no joke.  After that, I lit off an M3000 bottle rocket that shook my entire neighborhood.  I woke up the next morning with an empty bottle of Jack next to my bed...the rest is history.

ENDORA:  1) I did something I've only ever done once before: I clapped and cheered. (My husband came in and asked what'd happened and was very surprised when I explained I was cheering over basketball.) The only other time I've done that was Stockton's buzzer beater to send the Jazz to the Finals for the first time.

2) When Duncan made his unbelievable shot, I moaned a little and said some really unladylike things. I knew we were toast--for this game and probably the series.

 

No comments: