Monday, April 12, 2010

Looking Back at My Pre-Season NHL Predictions

Back in October, I gave my NHL Season Predictions. Since I don't mind going back and looking at my mistakes, let's have some fun ripping apart my predictions.

NORTHEAST: 1-Bruins*, 2-Canadians*, 3-Sabres*, 4-Senators, 5-Maple Leafs
It was easy to know that Toronto was going to suck. The Sens did much better than I predicted. I got the Bruins, Canadiens and Sabres right as playoff teams ... though I overestimated Boston.

ATLANTIC: 1-Penguins*, 2-Flyers*, 3-Devils*, 4-Rangers, 5-Islanders
The Devils squeaked by the Pens to win the division. I do feel good that I got the right three playoff teams in ... with the Rangers and Islanders picked correctly.

SOUTHEAST: 1-Capitals*, 2-Hurricanes*, 3-Panthers, 4-Thrashers, 5-Lightning
Duh. The Caps were easy. I did blow it on the Hurricanes (the only playoff team in the East that I predicted that didn't make it).

CENTRAL: 1-Red Wings*, 2-Blackhawks*, 3-Blues*, 4-Blue Jackets, 5-Predators
The Red Wings fell short of the division title, though they and the Hawks did make the playoffs. I blew it on the Preds and Blues.

NORTHWEST: 1-Canucks*, 2-Flames*, 3-Wild*, 4-Oilers, 5-Avalanche
Another blown pick with the Aves in last place and the Flames and Wild in the playoffs. I did nail Vancouver as division champs.

PACIFIC: 1-Ducks*, 2-Sharks*, 3-Stars, 4-Kings, 5-Coyotes
Yikes. Anaheim underperformed while San Jose shot to the top of the Western standings. The Kings and Coyotes surprised me by getting to the playoffs.

So let's see. I was 7 of 8 in the Eastern Conference. I was just 4 of 8 in the Western Conference ... and all three teams that I picked to finish last in their respective divisions went on to the postseason.

No comments: