Monday, March 8, 2010

Respect What the UConn Lady Huskies Are Doing


I know that women's basketball isn't near the top of most sports fans list of things to care about. I keep an eye on what the North Carolina women's team does and check the ACC standings once a month, but that's about all I see. I've yet to watch a women's basketball game this year ... which keeps my streak alive.

Still, I want everyone to realize just how special this season's UConn Huskies are. They are going for their 71st consecutive win tonight and are the overwhelming favorite to win back-to-back undefeated championships.

I know when one team dominates a "fringe" sport, it turns some people off. How great can it be if no one can challenge them? It's not UConn's fault.

This year, they've beaten:
No. 13 Texas
No. 2 Stanford
at No. 11 Florida State
No. 7 North Carolina
at No. 7 Duke
No. 8 West Virginia
No. 24 St. John's
at No. 12 Oklahoma
No. 11 Georgetown
No. 3 Notre Dame
at No. 8 Notre Dame
... and they'll play No. 7 Notre Dame again tonight

How is that for a schedule? And it wasn't like they just beat them ... there were destructions. Here are the margins of victories in those games: 25, 22, 19, 41, 33, 33, 14, 16, 22, 24 and 25. That 14-point win over St. John's is the closest game they've played.

Think about all of that. Using the current AP men's rankings that were just released, that would be like No. 1 Kansas beating Wisconsin, Kentucky, Michigan State (twice), West Virginia (twice), New Mexico (twice), Xavier, Butler and Syracuse. And beating all of them handily.

Again, I can see you rolling your eyes about some team you probably can't name one player from (I can't). Still, respect due. Game recognizes game. It's time we gave them their deserved credit.

No comments: