Monday, March 29, 2010

Looking Back at My Bracket Predictions


Despite my call of Kansas winning the whole thing and shattering my bracket, I'm not doing too badly. On the major pool I'm in, I'm second out of 101 folks. In another, I'm third.

So how did I do okay despite the crash and burn of my bracket? Well, let's look at how well my Regional Previews went:

SOUTH REGION

Smart pick: Duke winning the region. Aside from Baylor, I just didn't see anyone that could beat Duke in the South.

Dumb pick: Louisville as my "Team to Watch Out For". Yeah, that didn't happen as the Cardinals were pounced on by California in the first round.

Other notes: I did pretty good elsewhere. I predicted that Notre Dame was horribly mis-seeded. They should never have been a No. 6 seed. Also, Baylor did enjoy a nice home crowd in Houston, but it wasn't enough to topple Duke. My pick for best game in the first round (Utah St-Texas A&M) didn't pan out, as Villanova-Robert Morris took that honor.

EAST REGION

Smart pick: Cornell as the Cinderella as as Worst Seeding. I wasn't sure if Cornell could get to the Sweet 16, but I thought they had a great shot. They showed that their No. 12 seeding was horrible.

Dumb pick: Texas as "Team to Watch Out For". Didn't work out that way.

Other notes: Like the South, I picked the right team to come out of this bracket. I had West Virginia beating Kentucky for the trip to the Final Four. Also, I did well with my pick of Wake Forest-Texas as the top game of the first round (though Wisconsin-Wofford was pretty good, too).

WEST REGION

Smart pick: Butler as the "Team to Watch Out For". I didn't think they could be in the Final Four, but I did think they could make a Davidson-type run.

Dumb pick: Pitt winning the region. Take your pick, as I had a lot of bad picks in this region. But I was working on a hunch that Pitt would win this region because I didn't have faith in either Syracuse or Kansas State. I shouldn't have had faith in Pitt, as well.

Other notes: BYU didn't get to enjoy the home cooking that I said they could. I'm also mad that I went against my gut feeling that BYU-Florida was going to be the top game of the first round.

MIDWEST REGION

Smart pick: Northern Iowa as "Worst Seeding". If you look at the facts and numbers, there was no way that UNI should have been a No. 9 seed. The Selection Committee really has some 'splaining to do about that.

Dumb pick: Kansas. I, like half of the country, crashed and burned when Kansas was upended.

Other notes: I did okay in this bracket. I called that the Maryland-Michigan State game would be a classic. I also called that Tennessee was a team to watch out for.

1 comment:

Kim Plaintive said...

As I usually do, I based my brackets on your previews and I clinched first place in one pool and am very close to clinching first in my other. I'd say your analysis is pretty darn good.