Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I HATE the NCAA Tournament Floors


I've whined about this for three years now and I guess I'm about to do it again: I hate the courts being used in the NCAA Tournament.

Three years ago, the NCAA started having all four regional sites on bland, uniform courts. You know the ones -- black sidelines, blue semi-circle at the free throw line and no more color. The left baseline has the name of the city in blue. The right baseline has the name of the arena. In the corners by the bench, they have the logo of the host school.

I'm not a fan of it at all. Wasn't a fan of it during the last two Final Fours. Wasn't a fan of it during the last two years of regional finals. But this year, the NCAA decided to have these floors in the first and second round as well ... killing me.

My main problem is that it really takes away from the viewer. It used to be, these arenas would have their normal floor with some NCAA placards placed somewhere. If you were watching a game in New Orleans, you'd know it from the Hornets' floor. Now, you have really no idea where these games are being played ... I know, I know, the city's name is on there ... by casually observing.

It takes away from the atmosphere. I want to see the Syracuse Regional being played on the patented orange floor. I want to see the St. Louis Regional played on the red and blue floor similar to what the 2005 Final Four had. In the early rounds, I want to see the host team's actual floor.

Having different floors gives the viewer something to separate each pod site. I know that the actual games are what counts and this year's tournament has been thrilling thus far, but stop with the bland floors!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

agreed. I'm going everywhere on the internet where people are complaining about these courts and agreeing.