Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hey, Bud. It's Time To Get Some Instant Replay In Baseball


I know that baseball seems to be slow moving with the times and ackward about embracing technology. But what happened last night was so horrible that Commish Bud Selig just has to look into adopting more instant replay in his sport.

By now, you know what happened last night to Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers. He had a perfect game through 8 2/3 when a horrible mistake by an umpire (Jim Joyce) ripped an epic event away from Galarraga. The runner was out by a full step, yet the ump called him safe. No perfect game. No no hitter. No historic accomplishment of having three of the 21 perfect games in history happening in the same month.

It makes me sick.

I'm not being dramatic with that. It physically made me sick. I checked my ESPN.com when a "Breaking News" alert came on that Galarraga was perfect through eight innings. So I rushed in front of my television, turned on MLBTV and watched that final inning unfold. When that last non-out happened, it turned my stomach. I don't know much about Galarraga, but I felt so bad for him.

Why doesn't baseball have the ability to correct this? Seriously! Aside from the NFL, Major League Baseball has the biggest need for instant replay. There are so many close calls in a baseball game (just like football) that it is ridiculous that in 2010 that no one wants to fix it. In that Tigers-Indians game, a few players and coaches left the dugout for the clubhouse to see the replays on the TV. By the time the next batter bounced out, every Detroit Tiger knew this was a bad call. That's all the time you need to take to figure it out and correct it.

I sat at home and watched the replay immediately after it happened. Me, sitting a couple hundred miles away from Comerica Park. You are going to tell me that someone actually sitting at the game with access to a television can't get it that quickly.

Think about this: Armando Galarraga became the first pitcher in MAJOR LEAGUE HISTORY to pitch a 28-out perfect game. Lost in the obvious blown call is the fact that Galarraga got the next batter (who shouldn't have come up to bat) out. So he actually retired 28 straight batters.


It makes me sick. Makes me sick.

No comments: