Saturday, November 7, 2009

"The League"; Come For the Premise, Stay For the Humor


"The League" is in it's second week and I'm hooked. The FX show brought me in on the premise that it's a group of guys who are friends and linked in a fantasy football league. Doesn't sound too gripping but the comedy sounded like a fantasy geek's dream.

Then you watch. As Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "it ain't funny -- it's freakin' funny." I DVR'd it and started to watch it as my wife was taking a shower. After nine minutes, I rewound to the beginning and waited for my wife to get done and watch it with me. She loves it. My wife, who doesn't understand a lick of football and who could care less about fantasy sports, was absolutely rolling.

It's an FX comedy (new shows come on Thursday nights at 10:30-ish) and comes with all kinds of basic cable no-nos. They cuss (they dropped the P-word about ten times in the last episode), they have sexually taboo subject matter and Jon Lajoie singing perverted songs. Lajoie is best known for his odd internet videos. His birthday song at a five-year-old's birthday party is classic.

It isn't for everyone. The course humor can rub some people the wrong way. But if you are a South Park/Eastbound & Down kind of person, then you'll love this show.

No comments: