Friday, September 4, 2009

The Sportz Assassin Sportz Room: 2009 Edition


Every year I take a bit of an opportunity to pat myself on the back and feed my ego about my Sportz Room. When we bought our first house five years ago, my wife "allowed me" to use the basement as my own Sportz Room.

Every guy needs a room like this. EVERY GUY! And, ladies, every wife needs to allow their men to have this space. It will pay off in the long run. Call it a Man Cave or whatever, it allows every guy to have complete control over one room of the house. It brings peace, gluttony, brotherhood and overall happiness to a sports lover's life.

Not to kiss my wife's butt too much on this, but I am grateful that I have someone who understands this and allows me to have a room like this.

The 2009 Edition is pretty similar to the 2008 edition. It isn't the greatest "man cave" ever, but it pretty good for what I can come up with. I still have four televisions on tap. One is in HDTV, one is an old school 36", another 27" and a 13". The two biggest TVs each have DirecTV's Sunday Ticket piped in. The two smaller ones are now hooked up to those hideous converter boxes and I use them to televise the games shown locally. The HDTV (which is new after my old one blew up right before Christmas) is usually set on the Redskins game or is used to flip around. The 36" is usually stuck on The Red Zone Channel or another game.

For the fantasy football manager in me, DirecTV has the ability for you to enter two fantasy team rosters and a screen will pop up if any of those players do anything of significance.

I've got my blue recliner which sits about six feet from the HDTV. Gotta futon and a smaller reclinerfor guests (and by "guests" I mean my dogs). The Sportz Room is in the basement ... an unfinished basement. So on the ceiling I have tiny pennants from all MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA teams as well as a couple of collegiate conferences. I also have about 60 McFarlane figures hanging up as well as posters and flags of my favorite teams (UNC, Redskins, Lakers, Reds, Red Wings).

This isn't a bragging thing at all. It isn't perfect, it's a bit messy and is a bit cluttered. And since my dogs live there, it has a nice canine smell to it at times. Still on Sundays, I will be sheltered down with a glass of Pepsi (I don't drink alcohol) and enjoying all which is man!

*-the above pic is not of my room

No comments: