Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Kidney Stones Suck! Luckily I Have a Hero


Sorry I haven't been posting over the past week. I was taken to the Emergency Room about 3:00am on Friday morning with a swift pain in my abdomen. Turns out that kidney stones struck for the second time in my life and boy does it hurt.

So, I've been under some really, really nice meds since and have a surgery set for Thursday to remove the stones (it's a surgery that sounds as bad as I expect it will feel). I'm a punk when it comes to pain ... I can admit that. And thanks to my lovely wife for dealing with a 34-year old man just living off the couch, leaving pee strainers in the bathroom, sweating then freezing, throwing up in her car (luckily there was a garbage bag in there already) and handling the bulk of my doctor's appointments and all. I am really lucky to have her on my side.

I did get to see a few things in the days since ... including the early NFL games on Sunday and the final quarter of the Monday night game. So here are my takes on the sports goings-ons of late.

RON ARTEST'S FAULT: Ron Artest says that if the Lakers don't repeat as champions, blame it on him. He is the major change in a championship team and the ax should fall on him. I'm not going that far. A lot changes on a defending champion even if the roster doesn't. Teams play you a little tougher, the hunger isn't as strong as it was last year (just human nature) and any little hint of a slump and everyone is doubting you. If the Lakers don't win, Artest will be the easy scapegoat even if he does everything right. But unless he causes some major problems on and off the court, I won't see it that way.

SONNY ON ZORN: Sonny Jurgensen and Jim Zorn got into it a bit over Zorn's playcalling. Sonny was a bit wrong in pretty much implying that Zorn's call of a halfpack pass inside the 10-yard line was stupid. I didn't like it when it happened, but it was close to working. It's also obvious that Zorn is feeling a bit of the pressure from Redskins Nation. Nearly everyone is questioning him and the job security as Danny Snyder's head coach is always shaky.

JORDAN-RUSSELL REMATCH: Really, who cares? Bryon Russell is nowhere near Jordan's stature in anything. He was a nice role guy on some really good Utah Jazz teams. So I don't need to see these two match up 11 years after the iconic shot that ended the 1998 NBA Finals.

No comments: