Monday, August 17, 2009

I Didn't Like Michael Vick's '60 Minutes' Interview


I've been one of those people who has had the needle move on my Michael Vick-O-Meter. As a player, I never was much of a fan. He lacked discipline and dedication to become one of the best throwing quarterbacks in the NFL. However, he was such a weapon of the likes we've never seen. And his teams usually were winners.

My thought process has been the same during the last two years. As a dog lover who doesn't even like seeing an animal get hurt in a movie, what Vick did just disgusted me. It sickened me to know that anyone could be so cruel. He deserved his sentence and all that has happened to him.

He also deserves to get a chance to redeem himself. He paid his debt to society and now should have a chance to pick up the pieces of his life and make something out of it. While I wouldn't want him on my favorite team, I don't belittle the Eagles for signing him.

So I wanted to see his interview on 60 Minutes to find out just where he was coming from. I have to say that I was let down quite a bit. While he said all the right things, it all came off as scripted or pandering.

It seems like he regrets getting caught more than for committing the actual crimes. That he feels bad for all the money and fame he lost instead of those animals he killed. He didn't really say that, but it did seem like the case. I think he really, really, really understands that what he did was wrong. I think he understands that it is cruel and he even said he knows it isn't "cool". But is he more remorseful for committing the crime or getting caught?

This is where I'm hoping Vick does the right thing. As he's going around apologizing to everyone so he can move on with his life, I hope he sticks with what his lawyers and public relations team is coaching him to say. I honestly think he's changed ... but will he stay that way?

No, he's not going to fight dogs ever again. I just want to see if he works with the Humane Society to try to do some good.

2 comments:

PAWS Atlanta said...

He did seem pandering and we agree in your hopes that he's sincere. Odds are that he wouldn't have given it up were he not caught. He certainly had talent on the football field, but his work ethic and attitude over shadowed everything he did. From his Ron Jeremy days to his flipping off the fans, Vick was far from a class act.
With luck this will make him a better man and shine a light on the criminals & lowlifes that fight dogs.

Unknown said...

who cares what you think and who cares if he works with the humane society. the philadelphia eagles are a business and he was brought in to help the team win, plain and simple. if andy reid worried about what you or anyone else thought, he would of never lasted 10 years in philly. get over it.