Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Tough Experience Watching UNC-Duke


As a die-hard Tar Heels fan, it goes without saying that the two games against Duke get my attention more than any other game. Right at January 1st (when my new batch of vacation days come in), I put in for the first Duke-UNC game which usually takes place in the first week or two in February. I'm usually already off on the Sunday in which the regular season finale takes place.

That was today. As I sat on my couch to watch the game, visions of another ACC regular season championship, the conference tournament's top seed and a possible No. 1 ranking were filling my head. Oh, it was also the final time Tyler Hansbrough will play at the Dean Dome. This was a big game.

So it was great to sit here just outside of Cincinnati where a storm was coming. So for the first half of the UNC-Duke game, my local CBS affiliate (Channel 12) decided it needs to keep interrupting the game to show me where the storm would be heading. Mind you, they didn't cut in during commercials or during the halftime show where Seth Davis said Virginia Tech and Northwestern would make the dance (seriously, why is this idiot on TV?).

The second half ... things changed. Instead of breaking into the game periodically to give me updates, Channel 12 decides to go full blast with the weather report while keeping my game up in a window in the bottom right corner. I could see the game as if I was watching a 9" screen but could hear nothing. And forget trying to read any graphics they were posting.

Still, the Heels won a good game, 79-71, and became ACC champs. That storm that was supposed to hit never materialized in my neighborhood. A few gusts of wind and a two-minute rain shower was all we got.

No comments: