Monday, March 16, 2009

Okay ... Here Are My NCAA Tournament Gripes


I need to be like the other gazillion bloggers, talking heads and analysts who must moan about the NCAA tournament bracket. There isn't much to bark about, but here is a quick list:

ARIZONA? I don't understand why Arizona is in this thing. They have some talent on that squad but I don't think they deserved to get in. I know that the committee looked at the "whole body of work" and all, but when a team goes into a tailspin for no reason at the end of the year ... that needs to be weighed.

LOUISVILLE AS THE No. 1 OVERALL SEED? I don't get this either. I agree that the Ville should have been a No. 1. Just not the overall No. 1. Yes, they won the regular season title in the Big East. But they didn't have to travel to Pitt, UConn or Marquette. Yes, they won the Big East tournament but they didn't have to face Pitt or UConn. That isn't their fault, but it doesn't make me believe that they are really the best team in that conference ... let alone the top seed overall. Pitt or North Carolina should have been.

TEXAS A&M VS BYU AGAIN? I don't know if the selection committee knew this, but they scheduled Texas A&M vs BYU in the first round for the second year in a row. That's crap. Last year, the Aggies beat the Cougars to advance in the West Region. This year, they will meet again in the West Region. Both years, it was the No. 8 vs No. 9 matchup. Why not let these guys see someone else in the tournament?

OHIO STATE AS A 8-SEED GETS TO PLAY IN DAYTON? You would think that the two hour drive from Louisville to Dayton for their first weekend of games would give the Cards quite the home court advantage? Nope. It will work against Alabama State or Morehead but it may not work in Round 2. See, No. 8 Ohio State will be there to play No. 9 Siena. So if the Buckeyes advance, you know they will have quite the following in Dayton. I understand the need to put teams as close to home as they can, but why do they get to play in state while No. 3 Missouri and No. 4 Xavier must travel to Boise? No other No. 8 seed is anywhere near home. By the way, Ohio State's A.D. was on the selection committee.

PITT PLAYS IN DAYTON? I may be wrong, but I would think Pitt would've rather played in Philadelphia. It is in state, nearly the same distance and they have played there before.

No comments: