Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Oh, That Barry!

                          Barry Bonds

Barry Bonds is stating that he may be out until midseason....if at all.

In a "news conference", Barry did his best Barry impression of moping about how it is the media’s fault that he doesn’t like him....and now it is forcing him to be "tired". I guess it also was the media that injured his knee and will cause him to miss the opening of the season.

"I really don’t have much to say anymore. My son and I are just going to enjoy life. My family’s tired. You guys [the media] wanted to hurt me bad enough, you finally got there. You wanted me to jump off a bridge, I finally have jumped. You wanted to bring me down, you’ve finally brought me and my family down. Finally done it. From everybody, all of you. So know go pick a different person. I’m done. Do the best I can, that’s about it….Inner hurt, physical, mentally. Done. I’m mentally drained. I’m tired of my kids crying. Tired."

Reading that makes you think of several things. First off....the timing. Yes, he just had knee surgery yet again and it was highly unlikely that he would be ready for opening day. He has never missed an opening day in his 19-year career. And this could be a special year for the Giants. They are the favorites to win the NL West...and have a pretty good shot at a World Series.

Second....sorry, but it just makes you think of steroids. With his involvement in the BALCO case, a recent story about an ex-girlfriend [read: mistress] saying he used steroids, possible tax issues and the recent Congressional hearings on steroids in baseball...the timing for this looks bad. I mean, after the public relations nightmare that the hearing became for baseball and especially Mark McGwire....Barry may be looking to exit as soon as he can. I mean, McGwire retired while he was still putting up major numbers and was so close to becoming the fourth man to 600 home runs.....yet he scurried out before steroid testing began. Barry may do the same thing just 52 HR shy of Hank Aaron.

Third, it seems that Barry is in full spin mode. He went from "I just love playing the game" to "I?m tired" in less than a month. He went from Brett Favre to Ricky Williams in less than 30 days. Amazing.  He's just sitting all alone, eating his feelings.  Well, not alone.  He brought his 16-year old son to act as a buffer so the questioning wouldn't get too intense.  Not only was Barry "tired" but his family was "tired" as well.  C'mon guys...he just wants to spend some time with his family.  Family is important to him.  That is when he isn't cheating on his wife.

Oh, yeah....this really sucks for the Giants, eh?  I mean, you are only taking the 7-time MVP out of their lineup. 

                                Felipe Alou

Here is my take on it....it isn't just frustration. It has been obvious that BALCO and the steroids whispers are getting to him, justifiably or not. Not to mention that all the rehab work he has done over the past few months was meaningless after his latest surgery. All of that can make someone depressed.  So could dealing with the fact that there is your grand jury testimony leaked, your adultery leaked, your tax issues leaked and no one believes your "flaxseed oil" story. 

Yet, it seems to me that everything I just stated is one person's fault.  Barry Bonds'.  He can blame the media all he wants.  But did the media make him take steroids??  Did the media cheat on his wife for nine years?  Did the media say in front of a grand jury that he thought he was taking flaxseed oil?  Did the media forget to report income on his tax return?? 

Boo-hoo.  In the words of Gunnery Sgt R. Lee Ermey in "Full Metal Jacket"...."You wanna quit?? Then quit!!!!" If you are tired of all this crap...then go home. Despite how bad Mark McGwire looked, if it wasn?t for this Congressional hearing....we still would think McGwire is in that "athlete?s retirement home" that they all hang out in. I?m sure Bonds could stay there.

Bonds could retire from baseball....where he doesn?t have to worry about a steroid test outing him...and get away from public eye which is what he apparently wants. He can show up in 5-6 years to see his mug go into the Hall Of Fame....make a speech...than go back to his mansion and play with his kids.

That is all written in the "McGwire Exit Strategy".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Barry Bonds is taking steroids now then NOW is the time to kick him out of baseball.  If Mark McGwire was taking steroids when he was playing ball, if they were illegal then, THEN is when he should have been kicked out of baseball.  THEN, not now.  It's way to late for anyone to bitch now.  Chances are that there is not one guy in the Hall of Fame that is pure as the driven snow.  Just for the record, Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame also, he's done his penance.