Monday, January 12, 2015

Looking Back At My Preseason NFL Picks

Tony Romo and the Cowboys made me
look a bit foolish
A lot of people hate doing this because it exposes them a little bit.  They don't like the hit to their ego.  I don't mind.  No one is perfectly correct and being humble is a bit of a virtue.

So let's look back to my preseason NFL picks to see where I went right and where I went wrong:

NFC EAST:

1-EAGLES*
2-REDSKINS
3-GIANTS
4-COWBOYS

I totally undersold the Cowboys.  I figured that defense was just so bad that it couldn't keep from losing games.  Plus, the Cowboys have that weird aura about them over the last several years of a franchise mired in mediocrity.  The Giants were the team I thought they were while the Redskins and Eagles slid a bit from my prediction.



NFC SOUTH:

1-SAINTS*
2-FALCONS
3-PANTHERS

4-BUCCANEERS

Well, it depends how you look at this.  The Saints, Falcons and Panthers all fought for the division title with the Buccaneers stinking up the joint.  The Panthers actually were what I thought they were ... I just thought the Saints and Falcons were going to be better.  I was certainly wrong.

NFC NORTH:

1-PACKERS*
2-BEARS*
3-LIONS
4-VIKINGS


I struck out on the Bears.  Like most people, I figured all those offensive weapons were going to amount to a winning season.  Nope.  Jim Caldwell's impact on the Lions was bigger than I figured as well.  Green Bay did win the division ... so I got that right!

NFC WEST:

1-SEAHAWKS*
2-49ERS*
3-CARDINALS
4-RAMS


I got another one right!  Seattle made the playoffs by winning the west and I had them hosting the NFC title game, which they are.  The 49ers, however, were my Super Bowl pick and they just flamed out.  Arizona was better than I thought with the Rams where I figured.

NFC AS A WHOLE?  Well, I'm kind of good picking last place teams.  I got 3 of 4 right and split on division winners.  However, I just got 2 of 6 playoff teams correct.  Not good.

AFC EAST:

1-PATRIOTS*
2-DOLPHINS

3-JETS
4-BILLS


Picking the Pats to win this one?  Easy.

AFC SOUTH:

1-COLTS*
2-TITANS
3-TEXANS
4-JAGUARS


Picking the Colts to win this one?  Easy.

AFC NORTH:

1-BENGALS*
2-RAVENS*
3-STEELERS
4-BROWNS


I missed on the Steelers, but both Cincy and B-more made the playoffs.  The Browns were better than they look with a last place finish.

AFC WEST:

1-BRONCOS*
2-CHARGERS*
3-CHIEFS
4-RAIDERS


Not too mad a this either.  Denver won the west and the Chargers were a win away from getting there themselves.

AFC AS A WHOLE?  Much better.  I got 3 of 4 division winners right and only missed on one playoff teams (Steelers made it instead of the Chargers).




No comments: