Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The ACC Gives Thanks to the Big East For a Great Football Season!

I know I'm a week late to give thanks, but I thought I need to point something out: Thanks for the Big East for making the ACC such a football power!

I'm being sarcastic, for sure, but it actually is true.

Boston College and Virginia Tech will be playing for the ACC Football Championship on Saturday. For the second straight season. Both BC and Tech (along with Miami) were taken from the Big East so the ACC could be a football conference, too.

I know that the rest of the world doesn't understand, but most of the fans of the ACC know that this is a basketball conference. We love hoops and hate what expansion has done to our conference.

I was for the expansion as it was going on because I thought that having some football super powers ... which Miami and Va Tech were supposed to be ... would make the conference better. It really hasn't. Instead of nine teams who clutter things up, we now have 12. It is highly competitive and there isn't as much sludge at the bottom, but this is far from an elite conference.

Let me say that Miami, Va Tech and Boston College have all been pleasant surprises in basketball, too. BC nearly won the ACC a couple years ago while Va Tech and Miami have been to the tournament, too.

The Big East Influence isn't just with Miami, V-Tech and BC. North Carolina has turned things around with ... Butch Davis who coached Miami when it was in the Big East. Tom O'Brien has NC State playing well ... after he was a darn good coach for BC when they were in the Big East.

No comments: