Saturday, April 30, 2005

THE SMACK OFF

                         

I know that many people who read my blog aren’t fans of Jim Rome. That’s fine. He’s a different kind of cat and some people just don’t like his style. That’s fine. I enjoy the show. I don’t agree with all of his takes....but, unlike some people, I understand that occurs in life. My wife and I don’t agree on everything....but I love her. So why do I need to agree with everything the guy on the radio says?

I’m a fan of his, though not a "clone". I listen to him on my way to work on WCKY-1360 in Cincinnati. To me, he’s funny...has odd stories....and genuinely makes me laugh. I like the structure of the show [I’ve even had some e-mails of mine read on air]. I cry laughing hearing John Daly’s "You Don’t Know Me" or Carl Lewis singing the national anthem. My main gripes with the show are his sometimes carrying on with the same joke [at times it works, at times it doesn’t] and the "clones" tend to act monotonously.

And despite the Chrissy Evert moment...he is rarely combative in his interviews. He saves his disagreements for when the interview is over.

In fact, here is a nice article on the pros and cons of Jim Rome.....SportsFan Magazine - The Violent World - Jim Rome: Pro & Con

All of that aside....my favorite show of the year is looming. The SMACK OFF. It is one of the most enjoyable shows I’ll hear. The SMACK OFF is a show dedicated to those "clones" who have the best gift of talking junk. Not just to each other...but about whatever is going on in the sports or pop culture world. You will hear some excellent metaphors...some awesome jokes...and some top-notch smack. At the end of the 3-hour show....a winner is picked.

Today, the SMACK OFF field was announced. There are past winners Dr. Mike Ditolla, Jeffrey Ditolla, Steve at LMU, Sean Cablinasian, Silk Brah, Jeff in Richmond and defending champ Iafrate. Another former winner is nightime sports talk jockey JT the Brick....who doesn’t call in anymore.

The usual bunch will be there. Trapper, Irie Craig, Greg in Vegas, Jeff in Phoenix, Don in No Cal, Otis in Austin, Joe in the OC and Terrence in Sierra Madre are usual contestants. Other contestants will be Kerwin, Gino, Jim in Fall River, Casey, Rachel, Oliver in StL, Mike in Orlando, Joe in NYC, Ed in Stockton, Tobin in Chapel Hill, Bill [and Larry] in Knoxville, Chris in Houston and Chuck in Phoenix.

My favorite to win is Joe in the OC.

Listen to the SMACK OFF this coming Friday [May 6] from 12-3pm [Eastern].  For a complete list of affiliates click here.  For more on Jim Rome or the SMACK OFF, click on jimrome.com

                               Take The Jungle Daily Poll

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great site:

Anonymous said...

I'd own that show in 5 minutes.