Saturday, November 10, 2007

Calling the Bengals' Shots

          

I'd like to take this time to give a shout out to those who think I'm an idiot for things I say. No, I don't get everything correct, but I did peg this Bengals season thus far. Not all these things are a direct blast at me. So, let's take a gander at some of the criticism I've received.

From Cincy Jungle about me asking if it was too late to save the season:

Sportz Assassin -- I can't tell you how much I love fictitious names from those that provide commentary and opinion -- wonders if it's too late to save the season? Let's get one thing out of the way. We're heading into week #4. It's early.

I understand SA's points. But the first three games is hardly a forecast for this team. Not because we're heading into week four. This team just has several things not going their way. Additionally, the other lesser-known weapons will return and the soften schedule in the second half, will gain confidence and a rhythm. As long as the Bengals can weather the storm in the first half of the season, I really believe they'll make a great run for a wild card spot. I ain't giving up yet.

Some of his reasoning was health, schedule, cohesiveness and wildcard. I did agree with the schedule and wildcard ... but they've since gone out the window. I hate the health and cohesiveness issues since all 32 NFL teams have some sort of problems at those points. Even the might Patriots and Colts have been hit by these things.

Over at the Bengals Brigade, I was taken to task about if Rudi Johnson's job was in trouble. Oh, and I asked that in July:

He says that the drafting of Kenny Irons could mean that Rudi would be the secondary back in a shared backfield. Yes, Rudi's yards per carry were down last year but I think some of that was due to the line getting used to playing together.

The Bengals will still need Rudi as a workhorse and I believe he can play even better this year. By the way, I noticed a comment on the Sportz Assassin's website from someone who said the only people needing to worry about their job were Chris Perry and the Sportz Assassin.


I'm still here and Rudi's job is being questioned. Sure, it isn't Irons that is doing that [he blew out his knee in the preseason] but Rudi's injury opened the door wide open for Kenny Watson, who is taking advantage of it. Watson, like Irons, gives the Bengals the opportunity to break off a big run ... something Johnson hasn't been able to do. In fact, the Brigade later admits "the offense seems to be running ok and if Kenny Watson can continue to play well the rest of the season, he only makes them more dangerous."

Even on my own blogging, I get taken to task. During my
water cooler chat over a month ago with Bengals fans, I asked if Chad Johnson should be dangled as trade bait for some defensive help.

William: No way!!! Chad and TJ are essentially the franchise ... along with Carson [Palmer] and Rudi [Johnson]. Next year the rookies and free agents will have a little more experience. The Bengals must recruit better proven defensive players.

Tom: Chad and TJ are Cincy icons (like Pete Rose). They won't deal Chad 'cause he puts the 'flash' on the 'stripes'. They won't drop TJ until his contract is up and he asks for what he's worth. And no defensive player worth his salt would play for a team notorious for being soft.


Boy, has this taken an about-face. Both are now more willing to deal Ocho Cinco [as are more local Bengals fans that would care to admit] and the boo-birds have rained down a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ass.
 I did not say to trade Chad.In fact,I don't think they could get enough for him to make it worth while.As late as this past week I said never trade Chad.Do not miss Quote me!
                                                    TOM of BEATDOWN BONANZA