Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Disappointed At My Lakers [originally written prior to Game 5 with Detroit]

Well.....today could be the last day of the NBA season....and of our Lakers as we know them.  And that kind of relieves me.

I'm so disappointed with this team.  Even if they win the next 3 games, though I'd celebrate the championship like hell, this team still disappointed me.

First off.....it is painfully obvious that the additions made in the offseason have really done nothing.  Sure, there have been moments.  But last year, we were a team who couldn't guard at the PG and PF spots.  This year, we are a team who can't guard the PG and PF spots.  We cannot guard the pick and roll to save our life.  Our bench and role players have pretty much abandoned us.  So, what exactly changed from last year??

I'm disappointed with this entire season.  I'm not insanely upset about losing in the Finals.  The Pistons have whipped us bad.  They are a hell of a team.  You can't get upset when you are beaten.    But, the Lakers have done NOTHING to help themselves this year. 

You have the Kobe scandal which has put this HUGE cloud over the entire season.  Yeah, we won the games in which he had to go to Colorado first......but all that crap had to be distracting.  Not to mention his announcement to "test the free agent waters" after the season.

We've had that Kobe/Shaq "Star Wars" flame-up at the beginning of the season.  Gary Payton's sulking. 

And, geez....what a year Malone has had.  Not only did he make a big decision to take the pay-cut and come to LA......but he lost his mother, suffered the biggest injury of his career, had to deal with the crap that surrounds the Lakers, guard Yao Ming, Duncan, Garnett and Wallace in the playoffs,  and when the Finals come around.....the whole point of him being here.....he cannot play effectively due to an injury.

And these Finals???  If Fisher had not hit that shot.....the Lakers probably aren't here.  If Cassell plays in the WCF.....the Lakers are probably not here. 

I've been in this board for, something like 4 years.  I've been on AOL since 1994.  Heck I was on Prodigy when I was in college.  So, I've had those great battles defending my Lakers.  Those bad Threat/Ceballos/Van Exel teams.  Those growing Shaq/Kobe teams.  The 3-peat.  And now.  I'll defend my love for my team anytime.  But, love 'em.......I also am ashamed by them.  This team has acted like a spoiled brat all year.  And now, in the Finals, they are imploding by bickering with the referees and each other. 

And, no, I'm not saying this because they are down 3-1 in the Finals.  Again, there is no shame in getting beaten by a better team.  Heck, the fact that they are in the Finals is amazing with all the barriers the Lakers have built for themselves.  How in the heck did this team even win the Pacific Division???  How did we get out of the Western Playoffs?? 

If the Lakers can win the next 3 games......they will have been the antithesis of what Spurs fans were mouthing off about last year -  that the good guys get rewarded.  And don't give me that crap about "yeah, thats why the Pistons are winning".  The Pistons are made up of "good guys" either.  I mean, c'mon, the team started surging when they traded for Rasheed Wallace.  Billups once settled out of court with a woman who alleged he raped her.  Elden Campbell went thru the same ordeal.  But, all that is the past.  At least they are stepping up with their opportunity and taking what, seems like, has been their's all along.

No comments: