Monday, September 24, 2007

Good Luck, Jamie Mottram

    

Good luck to Jamie Mottram, as he leaves AOL for Yahoo!.  Jamie leaves his baby, AOL's Fanhouse ... which I blog for ... to make Yahoo! Sports blogging world into a power. 

Anyone who knows me knows I kiss no one's butt.  But I will say that Jamie has been quite a visionary with Fanhouse.  A novel idea of having a large media outlet combine the internets best sports bloggers and letting them do their thing.  In the 13 months since Fanhouse launched, sports news outlets [including ESPN] have really taken to bloggers themselves.  However, the Fanhouse has a diverse stable of bloggers who cover a variety of sports from the view of the fans of the teams ... not just "journalistic blogging" of the same couple of people covering everything. 

Personally, I'm proud of what Jamie has done.  I remember meeting him via this very blog here as both of us are Redskins fans.  These AOL blogs begat PIGSKINBLOGGERS which was a combination of blogs from each NFL team [I contributed the Redskins].  That blog became quite popular and begat PIGSKINBLOGGERSLIVE ... a radio show where the NFL bloggers would call in and talk football.  And, believe me, it was raw.  Jamie and his cohorts hosted it and a small amount of bloggers [including me] called in.  And who knows how many people actually listened? 

That, eventually, did gain some run and turned into SPORTSBLOGGERSLIVE when the NFL season ended.  That show blew up into bloggers, athletes, coaches and media members chiming in on a variety of sports topics.  It was a show that someone like me could get interviewed on something right after Peter King and before Seth Davis. 

The show was shut down waaaaaaaay too soon ... but did usher in FANHOUSE, which still stands today and is an excellent legacy for Jamie at AOL.

Good luck, man, and thanks for all you've done.

No comments: