Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Bonds Isn't Sharing With the Hall of Fame

            

"I'm not worried about the Hall.  I take care of me." -Barry Bonds

Normally, this kind of statement would eat me up as selfish and ignorant of the history of the game he has the privilege to play for a living.  But then you look at what baseball is doing for Bonds.  Nothing, really. 

Again, I'm aware there is this stigma of steroids surrounding Bonds ... and, yes, I think he took 'em ... but he's not failed a test as of now.  Yet, as Bonds reaches the hallowed 755 mark, the bigwigs of baseball are acting like it isn't happening.

That's baseball for you.  There is an issue on the table and they are acting like it isn't happening.  Mr. Selig, that's how your league got into this predicament in the first place.  The ostrich technique isn't a great one.  For a league that touts being so progressive by having Jackie Robinson tributes every year [yet forgets that it still means that the majors spent more time being a whites only league ... 1876-1946 ... than it hasn't ... 1947-2007], they sure spend a lot of time hoping problems magically go away.

But I digress.

Bonds, I'm sure, is feeling the slight of the baseball rulers and feels this is the best thing to do to seperate himself.  While I see Bonds' point, it is a shame.  While baseball loves to think the Hall is about them ... it's really about the fans and I'm sure the fans would love to have some of these momentos up in Cooperstown.

So what should go into Cooperstown?  Lance McAllister had a few suggestions on his blog:

1. A syringe
2. His baseball caps from every five years of his career....with cap size listed
3. Copy of the book "Game of Shadows"
4. Video of his 37 hop throw to the plate as Sid Bream scores to sent Braves to the World Series
5. A live jackass
6. Transcript of his grand jury testimony
7. A slab of his body armor

No comments: