Saturday, May 1, 2010

SportzAssassin.com Turns Six Years Old!


Hard to believe that SportzAssassin.com just turned 6 years old. It all started back on May 1st, 2004 with a modest post about the NBA Playoffs. From there, it has been quite a ride.

I parlayed that to "Pigskin Bloggers" and the "Pigskin Bloggers Live" internet radio show on AOL. That got my blog featured on ESPN's Cold Pizza three times as well as being on air along side great athletes and columnists. I had Seth Davis call me an idiot because I said that J.J. Redick chokes in the biggest games (which he did) and that will be Duke's downfall in the tournament (it was). I debated Scoop Jackson about where Phil Jackson would end up (Scoop picked the Knicks; I picked the Lakers). It was an awesome time for the empire.

All of that was tossed aside when AOL decided to start FanHouse.com. I was one of the original bloggers on that site ... mainly specializing in fantasy football. From there, I was added on to the college basketball section (where I eventually became a lead blogger) and then the NFL. I covered the Washington Redskins (my favorite team), Carolina Panthers (my hometown team), Cincinnati Bengals (where I live now), Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins.

I worked with some great people over the years at FanHouse and SportzAssassin as well as working for some outstanding visionaries (The Mottrams, Alana G, John Ness). I would leave FanHouse in April 2009 due to the site's switch from a sports blog to a sports magazine. With all the sports writers losing jobs in the dying newspaper industry, I cannot blame AOL for deciding to snatch these guys up and reimagining the blog. Since I'm just some "basement blogger", I was asked to leave.

The three years I spent there were great and taught me a lot about the business side of sports blogging as well as being on the front side of the sports blogging explosion. That's been what I've been proud of most. The fact that this site began before anyone even knew about sports blogs and the fact that I was part of its skyrocketing popularity is something I'll always treasure.

Since leaving FanHouse, I now work for Yardbarker.com where I'm an editor and contributor (thanks to the aforementioned Alana). My SportzAssassin site is being seen more now than it ever has. Again, I'm just some small blog written by one man who has no aspirations about being a sportswriter or media personality. I just love sports and love writing my opinions. The fact that anyone even reads what I write still amazes me.

So thank you to all of you guys who bother to come to the site as well as all of the people who helped me along the way.

No comments: