Tuesday, March 17, 2009

World Baseball Classic Sucks - Let's Get Rid Of It


I don't really care about the World Baseball Classic. I don't. I forget that it is going on. If SportsCenter didn't show the highlights every night, I wouldn't have remembered they were playing.

No, it isn't because Team USA flamed out. I didn't care when they were performing well in the first round. I wasn't distraught like I would have been if my favorite pro team was playing bad or if our Olympic team wasn't doing well. I don't care."

I gave this thing a chance, too. It was a neat thing in 2006 when it started and I wanted to see if it was going to grow on me this year. It hasn't.

Now in the headline I say that I want to get rid of it. Maybe that is too harsh. The other countries love it. They care. Most of the people playing in it are from American-based pro teams so we get to see these guys with our city's name on the front of their jerseys. These countries are watching these home grown superstars now coming back and wearing their country's name on their jersey for just three weeks every three years. It works for them.

Maybe keep the WBC but keep it out of the United States. Play the games in the Far East and Caribbean wear crowds can get into it. I think the structure is decent though they could operate it similar to the NCAA baseball tournament.


Just don't ask me to care. I'm just waiting for the MLB season to start going.

No comments: