Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Sportz Assassin's 2026 NFL Predictions


Every year I try to do this. Every year I get some things right and every year I get some things wrong.  So here we go again!


NFC EAST: 1-Eagles*, 2-Cowboys, 3-Giants, 4-Commanders

I just think the Eagles are the best team in this division. Despite some of the drama that comes out of Philly, this is a really good team at their best and disappointing at their worst. The Cowboys offense will continue to be potent, but can this new defense be just good enough to keep games winnable. At the bottom is the Giants and Commanders. I'm not big on either this year -- the Giants are building something but their three top offensive players have injury questions. I think it takes Harbaugh a year to get this thing turned around. As for the Commanders, that offensive line took a big hit with Tunsil out and I don't think they're capable of keeping Jayden Daniels clean.

NFC SOUTH: 1-Buccaneers*, 2-Panthers, 3-Falcons, 4-Saints

You really never know in this division, so I'm just defaulting to where I think the talent lies. I do think the Bucs are the top team and organization in this division and believe they take their NFC South crown back from the Panthers. The Panthers are a decent threat to repeat, but I just don't think they will be able to replicate their strong finish of 2025. The Falcons continue to be a mystery of some great talent that is being held back by poor QB play. The Saints time is coming, just not this year. 

NFC NORTH: 1-Lions*, 2-Bears*, 3-Vikings, 4-Packers

The one division where I can see every team capable of winning the division ... and I mean that in a great way. All four possess the talent and coaching to make it happen, and all four have some red flags to why they could finish in last place. I have the Lions because, well, I just have that feeling. This team should have gone to the Super Bowl three years ago, had the best record two years ago, and last year was this weird wonky mess. I think it's cleaned up now. The Bears won't repeat because they won too many games by the skin of their teeth and we may see a small slide back down. The Vikings were mediocre last year behind some of the worst QB play in the league. Not that Kyler Murray is a savior, but he's certainly good enough to lift this team up into playoff contention. The Packers have some serious issues, namely Micah Parson's health and Josh Jacobs' off-field issues that keep them at the bottom.

NFC WEST: 1-Rams*, 2-Seahawks*, 3-Niners, 4-Cardinals

This division houses the best two teams in the NFL and we get a treat late in the season when the Rams and Seahawks play twice in the final three weeks of the regular season. Simply put: the Rams have the best roster in the league. The Seahawks are one of the most slept on defending champs ever. They get to fight it out for the division and maybe we'll see them fight it out for the NFC title. The Niners (stop me if you've heard this before) have too many injury issues to really contend at the top. The Cardinals are ... bad.

AFC EAST: 1-Bills*, 2-Patriots*, 3-Jets, 4-Dolphins

The Bills hit the reset button a bit to try to maximize Josh Allen's prime. Will this finally be the year Buffalo breaks through to a Super Bowl berth? The Patriots are really good, but I think they get knocked down a peg. They benefitted from a light schedule last year, including getting some fortunate luck in the AFC playoffs. Add in the Mike Vrabel off-season saga and there just seems to be too much baggage to repeat. The Jets and Dolphins are bad, but Miami seems to be filling the "worst team in the league" shoes. The Jets are bad, too, but not as hopeless as what's going on in South Florida.

AFC SOUTH: 1-Texans*, 2-Jaguars, 3-Colts, 4-Titans

The Texans defense is just so damn good that I have to think they'll win this division. I'm also betting on CJ Stroud being a little bit better this season with so much doubt surrounding him. I really want to have the Jags win this division, but I just cannot trust Trevor Lawrence enough to think he can repeat his improved 2025 season. But if there is a team who I think could be much stronger than I am predicting, it is Jacksonville. I have the Colts third because I really don't trust having QBs coming off major injuries. The Titans are trying to build this thing up for their new stadium next season. For now, we just get to enjoy their Oilers-styled jerseys.

AFC NORTH: 1-Ravens*, 2-Bengals*, 3-Steelers, 4-Browns

The North is tough, but I think the new coaching regime rejuvinates Lamar Jackson to have another MVP calibar season. This is a really good team that hopefully realizes how good it is and show us in January.  I'm putting my faith in Joe Burrow staying healthy and getting back to the playoffs after a three year hiatus. This offense is just too good and the Bengals finally added just enough defense to keep things from getting out of hand. The Steelers finally get their losing season. The Browns actually have some talent on this team, but no Myles Garrett and this rancid QB situation doesn't do it for me.

AFC WEST: 1-Broncos*, 2-Chargers*, 3-Chiefs, 4-Raiders

To me this is a Broncos-Chargers race and I will default to the Broncos defense as the key to winning the division. It is that elite. I am (cautiously) super high on the Chargers. I think Mike Mcdaniels taking over the offense will finally unlock Justin Herbert and this offense and they will take the next step in their future. If it doesn't happen now, when will it? I think we are officially at the end of the Chiefs Chapter 1. This roster just isn't good enough to contend for a Super Bowl and Patrick Mahomes is coming off a big injury. He will show flashes of his old self, but this franchise needs to do some house cleaning and point towards 2027. The Raiders will win some games they shouldn't, but this is a slow burn year towards getting Fernando Mendoza ready for next season. 

SUPER BOWL: I have the Rams and Bills in the Super Bowl. LA wins, 27-20

Other predictions:

*Shane Steichen, Aaron Glenn and Dan Quinn could be seeing their last years with their current teams.

*The Cardinals, Browns, Colts, Vikings, Jets and Steelers will be actively looking outside their organizations for new QBs. 



No comments: