Sunday, January 26, 2020

Kobe Bryant: 1978-2020



I am so stunned by what has happened that I cannot post some story biographical about it. Since you'll hear a lot about Kobe from news sources, fans and people who know him, I'll try to keep this to my favorite moments.

I've been a Lakers fan since I knew there was an NBA (early to mid 1980s) so Kobe is one of my favorite players of all time (likely second to Magic Johnson). My favorite in-person moment in sports was seeing Kobe Bryant hit a game winning shot with 0.3 seconds left to beat the Charlotte Hornets in 2002. I also saw him dump 58 points on the Charlotte Bobcats live a few years later.

Of course, I watched him win five NBA championships with the Lakers. He won them as the overconfident sidekick in 2000 and as the Black Mamba in 2010.

Again, you can find all kinds of places that will talk about his work ethic, his passion for the game, his legendary status and his outstanding start to his second act all over the internet and TV so I will spare regurgitating that here. You can see with the outpouring of emotion on and off basketball courts what Kobe Bryant meant to the world. I am shocked that his life was cut so short. I'm also gutted that three teenage girls had their lives end much, much, much, much too soon. I haven't felt this kind of sorrow in a very long time.

Rest in peace

Alyssa Altobelli
John Altobelli
Keri Altobelli
Gianna Bryant
Kobe Bryant
Payton Chester
Sarah Chester
Christina Mauser
Ara Zobayan

No comments: