Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Please, Lord, Don't Snow Out My DirecTV Guy!

                        

I will be staring out a window from 8:00 until noon tomorrow morning.  Why?  The DirecTV man will be coming to install my HDTV.

Yessssss!

As a sports lover, HDTV may be the greatest invention since....well....DirecTV.  Putting both together should be illegal.  It isn't, so I am taking advantage.

About two years ago, I bought a Samsung HDTV.  Nothing too fancy, just a 30" that sits in my Sportz Room.  However, I've had an HDTV with no HDTV programming.  All you married men know you can't push it.  Heck, I got the TV...I just can't whine about not getting the high-def to go with it.  So I dealt with it because (a) I didn't want to beg and (b) I lived 30 years without it so I really wasn't missing anything.

Until last winter. 

A friend of mine moved into the neighborhood.  When I stopped over, she was showing me here wall-mounted TV and she couldn't figure out how to get it to become widescreened.  I hooked it up for her.  She then showed me the HDTV channels she got and I was floored!  So much so that it was my mission to get it hooked up for me in the ol' Sportz Room.

The hardest part of that was running it past my wife.  My wife is a saint....at times.  She lets me have my sporting toys since it makes me happy....so I have no reason to complain.  With my DirecTV, I have the entire sports package with all of the Fox Sports Nets and other sports channels.  I not only have the NFL Sunday Ticket...but the Super Fan pack.  I also get the Mega March Madness and NBA League Pass.  So it's hard for me to ask, "hey, honey, can I add on some more stuff to our already outrageous bill?"

So I took a page out of her book. 

She wanted this SUV...so she did a ton of research on it, found what she wanted and figured out how to pay for it.  So I did the same thing with the HDTV.  I researched it, found out how much it would cost, and saved my "petty cash" until I had enough. 

So, I had the money and the plan ready to spring on her.  Now, for a year or so, I've dropped plenty of hints on her that I wanted it.  But now I have it figured out.  She wigged me out by simply saying, "okay...call and order it".  Crap!  If I knew it was that easy, I would've asked sooner. 

I called to set it up, got a better deal than I first thought, and set up an installation appointment for Tuesday morning, February 13th, 2007.

Of course, here in the Greater Nati Area, there is a huge snow/ice/sleet even barrelling through here that might shut everything down.  Great!  I set the appointment two weeks ago and I don't want to have it cancelled.

Please Lord!  Forget the hungry, sick and needy.  Instead, focus on my HDTV.  I know that Sunday is your day....so shouldn't we all have the best in television viewing on your day?  I know I said I wouldn't ask you for anything again after you helped block that Mike Vanderjagt kick....but, dude, we all go back on our promises.

 

No comments: